Root Assasin vs Root Slayer

Gaitano

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Does anybody have any experience with either of these when collecting material?

Reaction score
I have used the root slayer shovel for a bit. The edges are really nice, but the handle is attached with but one bolt and can get a lil' wonky if your style of digging is wild and enthousiastic. A very nice tool nonetheless and in clay it digs well.

Mike Hennigan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
The root slayer is amazing, I swear by it and never collect trees without it. I can collect 10 times faster since I no longer have to constantly switch between shovel to saw. Now I only grab a saw for very massive roots. Also in my experience it has eliminated the need for a pry bar. Whereas most other shovels would bend or break, I can easily use the root slayer as a pry bar. I have never experience and degree of wonkiness that the previous post describes.

Josh88

Shohin
Reaction score
I have used the root slayer the last two years and like it a lot. I find it does a great job cutting cleanly through, feels super sturdy, and is a decent size for strapping to your pack and hiking all day. With my relative limited experience, I’d certainly recommend it highly.

Gaitano

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Sold! I like how the tip or the slayer has an inverted V rather than the rounded tip of the assassin. I see they make a trowel also, but not currently in stock. I may have to get that later.

Mike Hennigan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Sold! I like how the tip or the slayer has an inverted V rather than the rounded tip of the assassin. I see they make a trowel also, but not currently in stock. I may have to get that later.

Yea, I never thought I could love a shovel as much as I love the root slayer. ??? It is my go to collecting tool.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I still need to order one.

The Assassin is a knockoff?

Sorce

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I just bought the root slayer drain spade model with the 16" blade. I got the long blade so I can angle in to cut the tap root. Should be delivered today. I can't wait to try that out.
I broke 3 shovels in the past couple months. They all broke at the steel shank between the blade and the handle. No more cheap big box store shovel for me.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DLKBBXB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I'm also going to be using this root slayer to keep the bamboo from running out of control. Every spring and fall I push the spade blade around my bamboo grove to sever anything that escape the established edge. Come spring any shoots that come outside the established area can be easily yanked out by hand or mowed down. Without the mother root base to sustain they die. That's how I keep my running bamboo in check.

I think the long blade of the drain spade root slayer will help me cut the roots all around and even under a tree. Then I can potentially leave it in place for a while to establish new small roots near the base before I collect.

jordystokes

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I have a root slayer. It is an amazing tool that does exactly what it says... slays roots! I have abused mine too. I've used it in rocky soil, on large roots, and even used the saw teeth to cut through extra large roots. I highly recommend.

R3x

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8?
I have a Root Slayer as well and it is great tool for collecting where there is not much stones in soil. They also produce more portable/lighter version called Root Slayer Nomad but that is not available here in Europe AFAICT. Would love that.

atlarsenal

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I got one just before Christmas. I’ve been itching to try it out. Gonna put it to use around the end of next month!

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I absolutely am thrilled with the Root Slayer Drain Spade XL. Got it delivered today and tested it on a couple wild shrubs. I just drove the blade in around the tree and do an angled push to cut the roots under and it comes right up. Easier than I have ever dug one up. That 16" long blade with teeth is the bomb.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah! Don't buy the Knock-off!

Sorce

Coppersdad

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
We've been using the "Radius Garden" #22011 model for two years. Being shorter it doesn't give the length of a pry bar. I can't comment on how effective it might be for collecting. The thing is, it's hell on wheels for the rock pile that is our yard. The handle allows the ease of using a twisting motion to remove rocks and, like the long handle, it's death on roots.
https://www.amazon.com/Radius-Garde...=B01M1CCIWH&psc=1&refRID=BCAKTRQJ4M9GB8Q594D9

Sthlmbonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
This sounds great, I’m ordering one from amazon in Germany. Will need it for the 40+ yamadoris I plan to collect this spring. Free shipping in EU and not to bad price wise.

Top Bottom