Sequoiadendron Root Issue

Reaction score
Greetings.

I’m wondering if the inner circling root will girdle the rapidly growing trunk? I'm nervous that, expecting an explosion of trunk growth--it is a sequoia, after all--that at minimum the closest circling root will cause a problem not too far in the future. So, should I attempt to remove the closest root or leave it?

If yes, I plan to use disinfected gardening sheers and cut the root at the point where it meets the trunk to where it loop and enters the soil--right? If you’re wondering about the lean, the tree was repotted on an angle. The front looks slightly flat, so hopefully there is not a problem deeper down, hidden because of the angle of repotting. I gently dug around the base but couldn’t find anything other than what is shown above the soil.

Thanks.

IMG_4703.jpgIMG_4699 2.jpgIMG_4697 3.jpg

It will help you get better advice on this if you give your location and a picture of the full tree is always nice.
I'll tell you what I think I know and we'll count on rockm to set us straight.(LoL, always appreciate your input)
These roots should have been dealt with when you repotted the tree. You need to get down to the base of the trunk and remove any roots that are circled around the base. Once you've found the base of the trunk you want to rake out the roots radially and cut out any long and tangled roots. All of this is over grow, excess roots where you don't want them and you should be able to remove all of it without endangering the tree. Strangler roots around the trunk will leave a horizontal scar in a vertical bark and it's very difficult to impossible to elevate.

Back
Top Bottom