Rhody starting to wake up? I think.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Hey guys,

So our temps have been getting a little nicer reaching 50s and 30's low but not consistent the weather is whacked up here in Massachusetts. It was 70 last week ad the next day it snowed out but my box with my rhody is thawing out and wondered if it was to early to take it out? I would love all of your feedbacks.

Thanksreceived_1961585103871084.jpegreceived_1961585080537753.jpeg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
for sure keep the top off the container and keep it dark and cool, but I wouldn't worry too much as long as you're not letting it get hit with repeated freeze/thaw cycles! what kind of rhodo?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
It's a PJM It's been a ice block all winter but we are seeing wierd temps from high if 30 to 70 the next and snow the day after New England weather is nuts but I did a scratch test and it's still green bit I think with the weather fluctuations it's starting to wake up then again we have got blizzards in April so I know it's not out of the park yet but I'm thinking of keeping in the tub till the weather stablizes a bit around 40 at night but I'm not to sure.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I would for sure keep an eye on the forecast, a few days here and there will be okay, we had a really bad freeze here last year in early April after i had repotted my PJM when it was flowering and even though the soil froze a bit it was okay and grew like normal. It was still protected in a cold frame mind you but the temps dropped below 30 for a solid week and everything turned out fine. Keep it in the bin since the mulch will insulate from temperature flux. plants are hardier then we take them for haha

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
When you see a good week at 55 consistent, then take it out of the mulch but in the mean time make sure its not dried out!
Do you have any pictures of your PJM? I it a small leaf? They grow like madmen here and super hardy even in the mountains. Every year they are a head Turner.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
ill have to go take a photo, its not as small as what yours looks like but i have another unknown one that has super tiny leaves but no idea what its called. Im jealous they grow that well in your area, the soil in my area is super alkaline because of the huge limestone escarpment but they do well as bonsai haha

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Here it is last fall, early to mid October. I bought it last year just after flowering so it's just about a year without ever seeing it flower. My inner self can't wait, it has nice buds but after it flowers back to shaping the tree again :)Screenshot_2018-01-30-21-34-22-1.png

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I'm thinking of keeping in the tub till the weather stablizes a bit around 40 at night but I'm not to sure.

I would do just that... A few heavy frosts would cause some die back after being protected as it is.

Curious though, mine stay out on the ground unprotected with no problems and I thought they were hardy to Zone 4. They do just fine but I can only see protecting them for the first Winter until acclimated. Is that your plan?

Grimmy

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I like! That's a very naturally shaped tree you got there. And such a beautiful backdrop too!

How big you planning to let it get?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Hey Gr
I would do just that... A few heavy frosts would cause some die back after being protected as it is.

Curious though, mine stay out on the ground unprotected with no problems and I thought they were hardy to Zone 4. They do just fine but I can only see protecting them for the first Winter until acclimated. Is that your plan?

Grimmy
Hey Grim,

Zone 4 RI? I did a lot of research and really couldn't find a definitive answer on whether to tub it or keep it in its pot so I went with the tub. I have seen people bury theirs in the pot but I wanted to keep an eye on it on my porch. Weather can get well into the negatives and really was not sure and didn't want to take the risk of it dieing off, so far it seems to be doing great with the scratch test and all. I definitely wanted it to get acclimated cause I was not to sure where it's Origins were from but you keep yours in a pot with no insulation out all winter? I'm just worried about it freezing and defrosting since the weather is all whacked out.

Any winter tips would be appreciated!

Tim

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I like! That's a very naturally shaped tree you got there. And such a beautiful backdrop too!

How big you planning to let it get?
Thanks Micro,

The overall appearance I am going for is all natural, broom but dwarfed. I cut back numerous times, pruned to appeal the eye but I reall don't want it to get much bigger maybe a little fuller and a we bit taller since it sits upright at about 10 inches :)

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I'm just worried about it freezing and defrosting since the weather is all whacked out. Any winter tips would be appreciated!

Both the PJM and Olga Mezitt rhododendron have been developed to grow in Zones 4 - 8. I only protect them the first Winter if I have no clue where they were grown and then just leave them out all year after that.
They both stay under canopy all Summer and Fall requiring a decent amount of trimming. Late Fall and throughout Winter I put the pots on the ground(most times) in areas where they will get some sun and freeze, defrost, freeze, defrost...
The closest one to the door a few minutes ago has gone 3 Winters here. Started out trimmed down to 5 inches and is 30 inches wide now. They do look like hell for Winter but the curled leaf on them is not dead. It greens up and the buds it set last season open mid to late April here. This it what it looks like today, sad, but honest just fine - It never even was placed on the ground but on a small stand this year. In the Spring when it greens up and blooms I will take another picture for comparison and the transformation is amazing -
IMG_1757.JPG

Grimmy

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thabk
Both the PJM and Olga Mezitt rhododendron have been developed to grow in Zones 4 - 8. I only protect them the first Winter if I have no clue where they were grown and then just leave them out all year after that.
They both stay under canopy all Summer and Fall requiring a decent amount of trimming. Late Fall and throughout Winter I put the pots on the ground(most times) in areas where they will get some sun and freeze, defrost, freeze, defrost...
The closest one to the door a few minutes ago has gone 3 Winters here. Started out trimmed down to 5 inches and is 30 inches wide now. They do look like hell for Winter but the curled leaf on them is not dead. It greens up and the buds it set last season open mid to late April here. This it what it looks like today, sad, but honest just fine - It never even was placed on the ground but on a small stand this year. In the Spring when it greens up and blooms I will take another picture for comparison and the transformation is amazing -
View attachment 179603

Grimmy
Thank you!! I look forward to seeing again in the spring.

Top Bottom