Starting tool set

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
We visit his nursery whenever we are in Daytona Beach. This past September he gave a us a tour of the new nursery set-up and showed us his personal bonsai collection, great guy.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b

czaczaja

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
View attachment 520309
View attachment 520310
View attachment 520311

Very nice :)

Bought my first set this year also (not all at once). Fixed up a new work station in our new house! The “turn table” was originally for food/pizza 😅
Are those shears Wazakura too? I have been looking for a nice 180mm set of shears and think I settled on the Kikuwa but I see Wazakura is taking shops by storm and they are supposed to be really decent too. Have you had a chance to test them out yet?

Lutonian

Chumono
Reaction score
Luton, East Anglia, England, Great Britain
USDA Zone
9a
Are those shears Wazakura too? I have been looking for a nice 180mm set of shears and think I settled on the Kikuwa but I see Wazakura is taking shops by storm and they are supposed to be really decent too. Have you had a chance to test them out yet?

Kaneshin make excellent tools I can recommend them wholeheartedly

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
All are Wazakura. Initially, I heard about them through Josh Hoosen from Australia. At that point I decided all my tools would be from Japan. I always read reviews and make comparisons of varying brands and manufacturing.

I use them frequently and the action feels effortless and smooth. I suppose I have nothing else to compare them since I’ve only used this brand, but as far as my personal experience goes and what I think, I recommend them to anyone. They will not break or need sharpening as far as I can tell through my research.

czaczaja

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
All are Wazakura. Initially, I heard about them through Josh Hoosen from Australia. At that point I decided all my tools would be from Japan. I always read reviews and make comparisons of varying brands and manufacturing.

I use them frequently and the action feels effortless and smooth. I suppose I have nothing else to compare them since I’ve only used this brand, but as far as my personal experience goes and what I think, I recommend them to anyone. They will not break or need sharpening as far as I can tell through my research.
Funny enough I ordered all my tools from Kikuwa because of Josh's video 😄 I didn't see one of him recommending Wazakura? I'm looking for something between 125 - 180 as my workhorse pruners and was wondering what you think of Wazakura.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
In answer to your question I advise against starter sets. They often give you stuff they can’t sell otherwise. In this case the actual tools may be fine but the pot is likely a cheap mass produced molded one and the small amount of fertilizer is too little too late. I doubt you will find the sanding blocks useful—I’ve had the same ones several years and only use them for my lawn tools. I have bought most of my tools from Wayne at stonelantern.com and also get my wire there. I suggest you get a branch cutter, scissors, jin pliers, and wire cutters from Wayne and then pick up more as you find out what they are used for. Enjoy the ride!

Kevin1968

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Funny enough I ordered all my tools from Kikuwa because of Josh's video 😄 I didn't see one of him recommending Wazakura? I'm looking for something between 125 - 180 as my workhorse pruners and was wondering what you think of Wazakura.
I love my Wazakura Tools very sharp and seems to be very strong.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I think a starter set is usually a lot of items that you won’t use or really don’t need…but it does make the package look substantial. I plan tools by identifying what I need based on what I want to accomplish. Early on I made the mistake of buying tools anticipating a need….a need that just didn’t happen. Just my view….I'm not a fan of starter sets.

Last edited:

Kevin1968

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I think a starter set is usually a lot of items that you won’t use or really don’t need…but it does make the package look substantial. I plan tools by identifying what I need based on what I want to accomplish. Early on I made the mistake of buying tools anticipating a need….a need that just didn’t happen. Just my view….I'm not a fan of starter sets.
I bought the Joshua Roth Bonsai set when I started many years ago. Now I just buy what gets damaged, broken or not worth repairing along the way some of those tools I have still not used. So I understand your method.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I recall that I ordered Wazakura through his store earlier in the year and the communication was via email. I would have to find the email/receipts from the order to verify. I also had a recommendation not to use his store as a "middleman," so I ordered everything else directly from Japan. All the tools, thus far, far exceed my expectations in performance and ease of use! :)

Top Bottom