Retirement Party

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Having posted number 9,9991 in Judy's thread I wish to make 9,992 the retirement of Smoke.

This year in May I did my last demo for the local club and retired from the monthly Shohin study group I co-organized after 7 years. I also retired from The Fresno Bonsai club.

so...with a very close count to 10,000 I say so long to the forum. Smoke had a good time here. Posted lots of work and interacted with lots of people. I can say without reservation that I do have many online friends at this forum. Many of them I know personally like the owner himself. I have maintained very good friendships with people here and never had a curse word. There are those that seem to always be in the fray, and argue also. It takes two people to argue and even though I bowed out of some of the most current threads that were heated, this week they are still heated without me even being there. Maybe I am a catalyst figure I don't know. Sometimes you have to know when to just shut up and move on.

Anyway I will continue to work over my trees and concentrate on the things in life that really bring me joy. My fiance and I would love to spend lots more time together but each owning a home and jobs and all of lifes crap always seem to take dibs. We will get together soon I hope and begin a new chapter in the Keppler saga.

When I make this post I cannot come back and post as Smoke. It is what I want. I do not wish to cross the mark, as some think it is what compelled me to be a dumb ass. It is not. What compels me is the art. I wish for everyone to make beautiful trees and to work them over like many here do. There is much to learn here if everyone is respectful and listens and does the work. If you argue about the work your just wasting time in the pursuit of better trees. Sometimes I feel like those that argue here only have one freaking tree to work on and can't possibly try something on another piece of material to see if "that guy" knew what he was talking about.

Have a great life people and work those trees. If I ever come back I hope to see a whole forum full of progressions to look at. Please if I do, don't get your feelings hurt if I fail to like it, just because I don't like it doesn't mean it's not good, I just feel handing out trophies to all who play is kinds 2018. If I do like it, you can take that to the bank.

Smoke retired, June 30, 2018
Al Keppler
Fig. 3

Last edited:

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Al,
I thought you said you would stay here forever ?! :oops:
Any way, life is going on and we have to concentrate ourselves on our own life. Thank you very much for your generous contribution to this forum. I wish you continue maintaining the balance in your life and staying healthy not only physically but mentality.
Your friend from Inland Empire.
Thụ Thoại

Jcmmaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well I don’t know you personally but thanks for adding great experience to the forum for newbies like myself, as it has been a big help reading some of your post. I wish you nothing but the best, I believe and always will that family come first in life. We will always have hobbies but true enjoyment comes from spending it with loved ones. Thank you and good luck in the future.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Seems like a sad milestone for me personally, as you have given me so much direction and inspiration along my road. I know that our conversation is not over, we will have many meaningful interactions away from this forum. Someday we will meet and I will tell you my very best John Kay story.
Peace Man.
J

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'm with @Jcmmaple . I'm grateful for what you have shared/posted. It will take me a long time to integrate what I have read/learned from your words.

May all your days be filled with laughter and joyful memories.

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Nooooo!!! Say it ain’t so! I hit the ‘like’ button but then realized that I don’t like that all!

Truly thank you for your posts and progressions, I have several ‘Smoke inspired’ projects and I have probably learned the most from your posts.

I hope this means your blog will be more active! ?

And I vote we give him a title anyway!

Last edited:

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
retirement of Smoke
Crap!
No more Smoke!
Hopefully he still does his blog occasionally.
I'll miss him something fierce.

So long Al. Good luck man.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I guess there are some people that won't mind seeing Smoke go.
Those would be the ones that go to certain teachers.
The ones he would piss off by questioning their teachers.
In turn making them question their teachers.
Fun had by all.
Al Keppler has forgotten more about decidious trees than the likes of Ryan Neil or Boon or Peter Tea will ever know.
Luckily for us Smoke posted a ton of information here.
I'm going to learn how to link old threads so I can bring those up when someone asks about maples or decidious trees in general.
Or better yet I'm just going to parrot him.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thanks a lot for your contributions Smoke, Al, or whatever you want to be called.
In my eyes you achieved a kind of bonsai rock star status.
I know I'll be using your contributions for years to come.

Good luck with whatever is ahead of you!

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Best wishes for the next phase of your life

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The BNut random photo picker just came up with the renowned pink thong pic. Forever holds his piece.

al-20thong-jpg.173712

Top Bottom