Repotting vs bud break

Balbs

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
My trees have been waking up quickly over the last week. When it comes to repotting, everything I read says you can’t repot after bud break. I’ve attached a euonymous of mine. I think these buds are ‘broken’ but want to check my understanding of that term. The leaves haven’t unfurled, though they look like they’re just about to. So, are these buds broken? Is it too late to repot? Or is it just a matter of how much risk one wants to take?

Attachments

• IMG_9016.jpeg
    IMG_9016.jpeg
    156.7 KB · Views: 80

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I generally shoot for earlier, when buds first begin to swell. That’s when the roots generally are just starting to wake up. You can get away with a lot. If you aren’t doing a hard cut back on roots you have little more leeway in timing. I have also heard people say you can repot any time as long as you can provide proper after care.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
So do you usually repot at this point or do you shoot for earlier?
I shoot for earlier, too. Still, when you've got a bunch of trees to re-pot each spring, it's pretty much impossible to re-pot at the'optimal'time... particularly if you're married and/or work for a living. Your situation is still in the middle of the re-pot window.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
So much talk in bonsai about bud swell and bud break that many newbies are frightened.
Reality is there's a much wider window for repotting. From a few weeks before buds start through to when leaves actually start to expand.
I agree that the tree is still fine to repot.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My trees have been waking up quickly over the last week. When it comes to repotting, everything I read says you can’t repot after bud break. I’ve attached a euonymous of mine. I think these buds are ‘broken’ but want to check my understanding of that term. The leaves haven’t unfurled, though they look like they’re just about to. So, are these buds broken? Is it too late to repot? Or is it just a matter of how much risk one wants to take?
yes. Those buds are well on their way. Buds "break" when the first edges of the leaves separate from the bud, even a little. These already have extension growth on them. Ideally, you want to repot just as the buds show lines of green before the leaf edges appear. The idea is to repot just as the tree pushes energy to sprout the leaves and before the leaves begin to rely on the roots.

You can probably get away with repotting at this point, but it could result in droopy leaves and slower growth in the coming weeks, as the tree tries to compensate for the loss of supporting roots. Euonmous is pretty tough, though.

Balbs

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
yes. Those buds are well on their way. Buds "break" when the first edges of the leaves separate from the bud, even a little. These already have extension growth on them. Ideally, you want to repot just as the buds show lines of green before the leaf edges appear. The idea is to repot just as the tree pushes energy to sprout the leaves and before the leaves begin to rely on the roots.

You can probably get away with repotting at this point, but it could result in droopy leaves and slower growth in the coming weeks, as the tree tries to compensate for the loss of supporting roots. Euonmous is pretty tough, though.
Thank you!

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Still, when you've got a bunch of trees to re-pot each spring, it's pretty much impossible to re-pot at the'optimal'time... particularly if you're married and/or work for a living.
Exactly. I've been repotting for about a month now. I rotate my work based on the tree species, what they look like, how desperately they need the repot, current soil condition, etc. I had to pause some work in order to get in more nursery pots, or because I ran out of soil components, or whatever.

Also... given that the OP lives in Massachusetts, he is probably in better shape than someone here in NC. I'd even be keeping a close eye on night-time temps.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Exactly. I've been repotting for about a month now. I rotate my work based on the tree species, what they look like, how desperately they need the repot, current soil condition, etc. I had to pause some work in order to get in more nursery pots, or because I ran out of soil components, or whatever.

Also... given that the OP lives in Massachusetts, he is probably in better shape than someone here in NC. I'd even be keeping a close eye on night-time temps.
Do you have your nursery license yet :p ?

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Do you have your nursery license yet :p ?
LOL I have to be on my permanent property before I can do that. I am still in a rental house. Builder said we were supposed to be in the new house a year ago... But I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Balbs

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A

Yup, still need to keep an eye on the nighttime lows. Expecting 8 inches of snow on Thursday!

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not to rob the thread, but since it turned to weather, we have three days next week predicted temps below freezing in Virginia's Shenandoah Valley.

coachspinks

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Happy shuffling! We are in the clear here. I'm tempting fate by planting summer annuals and veggies. And to keep it somewhat on topic, the window for repotting is much larger. Most sources give the optimal time but with decent to good aftercare, the window can be weeks.
Not to rob the thread, but since it turned to weather, we have three days next week predicted temps below freezing in Virginia's Shenandoah Valley.

Top Bottom