Repotting at a less than optimal time

Brien

Seed
Reaction score
I'm looking for some thoughts on repotting.

I have a satsuki azalea that I think I've overwatered and it is now producing a sulphur smell. I know I need to repot it, but it's not really the time of season that I'm reading one should repot.

Will I do lasting damage if I do it anyway? Any tips, tricks or suggestions on what to do in this situation?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy Brien!

Soil?
Drainage?
Your location?
Tree location?
Watering habits?
Pics?

sulphur smell.

Is it possible you were "crop dusted" last time you sniffed it?

Sorce

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's not easy to give one straight answer with so many variables involved. Something is not right if you're getting a foul odor.
Planting and repotting prescribed times are usually the optimal time for trees in good health and can be safely worked at that time. Guidelines, and the further you get from them the more you have to adjust your procedure. You can still repot later, but not do extensive root work.
That's the case with healthy trees. When you have a problem you have to deal with it and take extra precautions if it's out of season. I might completely bare root a tree and give the roots a good pruning in season, but out of season only trim circling roots and tease out the bottom for a slip potting, bumping up to the next size.
I hate to suppose in your case without more info, but it sounds like a drainage problem, or soil.

Top Bottom