Real Oval?

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Every ellipse is an oval but not every oval is an ellipse
Similarly, by definition of "rectangle," every square is a rectangle, though a rectangle is not necessarily a square.

Still, eggy pot. Unique. I like it.
I think I could make very excellent use of such a thing. Interested in how you do.

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Similarly, by definition of "rectangle," every square is a rectangle, though a rectangle is not necessarily a square.

I think I could make very excellent use of such a thing. Interested in how you do.
Yeah but we call squares squares and rectangles rectangles.

My point is that I thought an egg shape had a special name 😂 guess we don’t decipher ovals.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b

You mean eggcelent use of such a thing.

TCEvan

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Pretty recently I had to try to find a definition of "oval" as a part of a dispute over the limits of a patent that used the term. It turns out "oval' is basically whatever the hell you want it to be as long as it vaguely resembles an elongated circle. Ellipse, egg, "skating rink", two different sized arcs connected by straight lines, and a bunch of other oddball shapes are all called ovals depending on the source you look at. Math textbooks, other patents, dictionaries, etc. could not agree over what the word actually means. I immediately recognized that exact screenshot you posted from the research!

Top Bottom