Quick Thawing Tree

MrG

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Bonsai Nuts,

I made the unfortunate oversight of leaving my medium-large Ponderosa Pine out last night and it froze (low of 27). It doesn’t appear deeply frozen just over the line.

This wouldn’t matter however today I am scheduled to repot this with a local pro friend.

Question is, how long will it take to thaw inside a heated area do you think on average? Crossing my fingers for 3-4 hours. Any tricks to speed up? Room temp water?

Pot is 15x10x4in deep…

I know there is no firm answer but I’m just looking for experience shares.

All best,
MG

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Bonsai Nuts,

I made the unfortunate oversight of leaving my medium-large Ponderosa Pine out last night and it froze (low of 27). It doesn’t appear deeply frozen just over the line.

This wouldn’t matter however today I am scheduled to repot this with a local pro friend.

Question is, how long will it take to thaw inside a heated area do you think on average? Crossing my fingers for 3-4 hours. Any tricks to speed up? Room temp water?

Pot is 15x10x4in deep…

I know there is no firm answer but I’m just looking for experience shares.

All best,
MG
Leave the tree in the sun. Make sure the pot is exposed-turn it a few times over a couple of hours. Make soil is thawed through -- watering it may help if you do it after a couple of hours in the sun

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Leave it in a tub of water, should take about an hour.
I thaw a bunch of lab stuff every day and packed in plastic it takes about 4 hours in lukewarm water to go from -80°C to 10°C.

If water can move freely, an hour is about right.

MrG

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Thanks guys - managed to pull it off via a combo of indoor heat and outdoor sun with pot raised - phew!

Just to add some fun value here, photos of before and after repot are below.

Ponderosa Pine Yamadori and pot from John Cole at Creekside Bonsai in Nashville.

Cheers,
M

Attachments

• IMG_5735.jpeg
    IMG_5735.jpeg
    251.6 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_9617.jpeg
    IMG_9617.jpeg
    311.6 KB · Views: 19
Top Bottom