Query regarding Nursery purchases in Multipurpose compost

mrjim

Seed
Reaction score
I have recently purchased a few trees from a garden centre that have been potted using a multi-purpose "heavy" compost. I fear it is too late to repot this year, so intend to keep them in their existing pots until next spring and then repot.

I am concerned that due to the wet Scottish climate the trees may be at risk of root rot if the root ball is constantly waterlogged through the coming autumn and winter.

Is there any best practise to follow in this situation? Should I try removing some of the loose soil from to top and bottom of the pot and refill with cat litter? Could I drive a chopstick through the soil and backfill with sand to aerate?

Any advice would be appreciated.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
MrJim

Welcome to Crazy !

The only other Scot we got is in a hot land called Oman!

You may still be able to repot some....

Species?

Sorce

mrjim

Seed
Reaction score
A mixture - Hemlock, Maple (in full leaf) and Yew.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A mixture - Hemlock, Maple (in full leaf) and Yew.

Pictures (of soil) may help.

Hemlock and Yew may be able to get repotted....not sure.

Maple would be risky, but if the soil is mud....you may could switch it.

@ConorDash is rather close with a maple tale.

Sorce

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
They will be fine. Trees grow in dirt, dirt don't hurt...

Water fully and heavily to flush old stagnant air out and you won't see any root rot, your biggest danger is that they may grow fast because they have access to plenty of water and nutrients. There is a reason that nurseries for hundreds of years have used compost rich soils for trees- it works, it is cheap and the trees grow well and look/ ARE healthy so people will buy them. Don't worry about changing to a different soil type until you are re in the final stages of development and moving them to a Bonsai container.

Reaction score
I agree with Eric. But if you are still concerned regarding the effect that the Scottish cliamate may have, you could possibly put the plants under something that hangs above them so they do not get rain directly on them, but still get sun..

My two cents

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Many come to this forum and witness these discussions and instantly think they have to repot. As has been pointed out that is not necessarily true.
That was certainly my first impression, when I came here. After alot of reading, and getting set straight a couple times, I got it.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Is there any best practise to follow in this situation? Should I try removing some of the loose soil from to top and bottom of the pot and refill with cat litter? Could I drive a chopstick through the soil and backfill with sand to aerate?

It seems you think the substrate is brick hard and not allowing water to penetrate. If they were indeed received like that soak the entire pot in a bucket of water overnight, pull it out, and if the water pours out the bottom freely there is no problem. What I "think" you are referring to is substrate that "seems" like brick but in reality it was just not watered properly(saturated daily) at the nursery ;)

Grimmy

thomas22

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Many come to this forum and witness these discussions and instantly think they have to repot. As has been pointed out that is not necessarily true.
Thanks for pointing that out Vance. Why do all the new guys think you need to repot as soon as you get a tree. If you get a tree from a nursery and it is healthy there is no need to rush a repot. Once you repot you zap the trees energy for a year and limit the ability to actually work on the tree. Also the new guys don't usually do a good job repotting because they are new. I suggest figuring out what you want to do with the tree, do a little pruning to allow light in where you want more growth, and even do some wiring. In a year or two you can repot.
Good luck with the tree Mr Jim.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
A good deal of the time Newbies tend to imagine one thing about bonsai when in fact the truth is entirely different. A lot of them have never read a book on bonsai but they have watched all this information on the INTERNET that is more interested in creating an impact and not so much accuracy. No one just getting into bonsai does not want to be told that they should wait a year before X to a bonsai just because they just did Y. And as you pointed out they don't really know what they are doing. I have run into that in workshops where you have them right there and they still do it wrong if you don't watch every move they make.

herzausstahl

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Top Bottom