Purple Bougainvillea

Reaction score
I am in UK and so limited how many may be able to post to me, but I am keen to find a small purple bougainvillea, nothing too big but something thats ben started that I can continue to grow and shape it. I wanted to grow from seed, but I think its a little bit much really. I hoped to source one locally thus far I found a nursery sells on ebay small ones in a 9cm pot, but not very keen to purchase via ebay really. Kim.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I have a friend who lives in Yeovil-Somerset who does bonsai...not sure how far that is from you. I have one friend from Leeds...who does a beautiful garden. But no bonsai...have you tried checking local nurseries near you? I could ask them if they have seen bougainvillea...if you want. But again...no idea who would be closest to you.

Reaction score
Hi, well I did find a small one in a local garden centre last week actually I was very happy! I am up north so Leeds is closer to me as I am about half way between there and Manchester. I believe there are a few decent nurseries down south but its just too far to drive 5-6 hours depending on location, Herons bonsai is down south also but again, its just too far to justify the drive :)

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Have you considered calling them and asking if they ship? If they have some...they might be willing to send a photo to you via email or texting. The majority of my bonsai have been purchased this way.

Glad to hear you did find a small one...their bracts are lovely in bloom!

Reaction score
Well, I have bought from herons bonsai and while they so seem very good, I think it is better to get a picture of the exact item you will buy, as when you cant sometimes do don't get quite what you were expecting! I bought a chinese elm from them when I was first starting, it is very healthy tree and is still doing well but not sure if ideal shape if I am honest and I didn't know much at the time so thought was alright, I might add a picture of it later on see if anyone has any ideas lol. I also bought three little starter trees and again they are very healthy and they were really cheap a few pounds, but one had 2 white grubs in the pot :/

The bougainvillea is only very small I am re-potting later I might take a quick picture of it as is, and take more as it grows :D

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
image.jpg Would love to see your bougainvillea! I have one to be delivered actually today! Neli was kind to do a vert for me. Because I felt it needed an angle change. Ones will either love it or hate it. But the one that matters is my thoughts...and I love it! (The middle photo is of the actual tree. ;) )

So the bonsai nursery won't send photos...of the individual tree. Yeah...I wouldn't like that.

akhater

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Kimberley82h is it ok to ship plants to the UK ?

Bougies are very cheap and available here but I don't know if the customs will let them pass.

If you know that I don't mind shipping a small one for you, I can even ship to you cuttings in a wet small bag they root easily

Edit: sorry i just noticed you already got one :) congrats

Reaction score
I imagine there is a way to ship to the UK though I have never bought any thing 'alive' from outside the UK so I am not sure on the procedure in truth.

And yes, I am re potting this later I got some compost that it is meant to like and a huge plastic pot, so I will pop in and let it go wild for a while!!

Reaction score
One final question, those who care for bougainvillea, I bought this for the azalea, would it be suitable for the bougie too?

image.jpg
image.jpg

akhater

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
if / when you repot your bouggie it will probably loose its leafs, don't worry much about it this is just what they do under stress it will bud again a few weeks later

Top Bottom