Purple Wisteria seedling

goonthis

Seed
Reaction score
I bought a bonsai kit with purple wisteria from Amazon somehow I was able to make them sprout last Friday.
I am following the guidebook but I am still not clear when to repot / transplant them.
Currently there are 4 seedlings in a tiny rectangular plastic pot(about mini ipad size) and each of them is about 1 ~ 2 inch tall.
I googled and found out the seedling should be about 2 inch so is it good time to move on?

And what's the ideal size for this one bonsai tree?

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Wisteria can be chopped back hard and can take decades to flower.
They don't require repotting in the first couple years.

The main goal is to let them grow wild, get them as long and tall as possible and get a decent trunk thickness from that growth. For the flowers to be a nice scale compared to the plant, the size of a tree would be somewhere between 1.5-2 ft. In my opinion. Bill Valavanis (not sure if I wrote that right) has a nice one I believe.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I bought a bonsai kit with purple wisteria from Amazon somehow I was able to make them sprout last Friday.
I am following the guidebook but I am still not clear when to repot / transplant them.
Currently there are 4 seedlings in a tiny rectangular plastic pot(about mini ipad size) and each of them is about 1 ~ 2 inch tall.
I googled and found out the seedling should be about 2 inch so is it good time to move on?

And what's the ideal size for this one bonsai tree?
Wisteria is a monster. It is aggressive in growth--in the proper location--outside. You don't give any geographic location information, so it's pretty hard to give you any advice on growing the vine (and it IS a vine, NOT a tree and it behaves as such). Other than grow it outside, everything else depends.

FWIW, Chinese wisteria (wisteria floribunda) bonsai tend to be on the large to enormous sides of size. Chinese wisteria is most likely what you have. They have to be large or enormous to accommodate their huge compound leaves, foot long blossoms and long internode lengths. They can be worked into smaller sizes, but it's a lot of work even for experienced bonsaiists.

I always have a smile for those who actually pay for a wisteria. They grow wild all around me in the woods. The second photo below is one example. Its as thick as my calf. I will probably collect it at some point.

They are an intensively invasive species here in the middle Atlantic states in the U.S. They grow so aggressively, they can gradually knock entire buildings off their foundations if they're planted too close and left alone. As bonsai, they're a lot of work for a small return. They are attractive only for a month or so when they bloom (if and when they bloom--it takes a least 10 years for a wisteria to be mature enough to blossom). The rest of the time, they are an aggressive, grabby vine that swamps the backyard with growth and tries to overshadow everything in it.

Below on the right, are two examples of bonsai wisteria--keep in mind these ARE NOT GROWN FROM SEED. The first photo is of a vine collected and cut back severely by a friend. It had grown in his garden for more than 15 years before he collected it. The other is of the 5 foot tall wisteria bonsai at the National Bonsai and Penjing Museum in Washington D.C. The first photo is an example of what happens when the vines "escape" containers and are left to grow unattended...Wisteria bonsai began their bonsai lives as mature vines dug up from their garden homes, cut back severely (to a stump) and regrown in a pot. Most wisteria bonsai are developed from older stock, as they aren't all that interesting when young. They get craggy and aged in the garden. In a pot from a seed they're mostly a bother.

Attachments

• wisteriadamage.jpg
    wisteriadamage.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 16
  • wistey.jpg
    wistey.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 17
  • wister2.jpg
    wister2.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 13
  • Japanese_Wisteria_Bonsaimuseum.jpg
    Japanese_Wisteria_Bonsaimuseum.jpg
    204.9 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Congrats on germinating your seeds. That's the first step in a (very) long process.
One good thing about wisteria from seed is the trunk will usually develop a swollen base which looks good for bonsai.

Wisteria take a long time to mature from seed. I have had one flower after 7 years but cultivation and genetics can make it even longer. Another took 21 years before I saw the first flower.

You may find it difficult to keep the tiny pot watered properly through summer so I would pot up into a larger pot sometime soon. Potting on seedlings is easy. It does not matter if roots are exposed or even if roots are trimmed so don't worry about causing problems by repotting. Best to just go up a few pots sizes at a time and it does not matter what potting soil you use at this stage. I prefer to trim the long root at this stage to help the plant branch out with more lateral roots that suit pots better. Again, cutting some roots does not cause problems at this stage.
Repotting seedlings is generally dictated by growth. When it is large enough its time to move to a larger pot. Size and growth rates are more important than time of year.

Wisteria are usually grown as medium to large bonsai because of the large leaves and the long flowers. Consider how it will look when a tiny plant has foot long flowers hanging. Branches also need to be high enough up so the long flowers can hang freely and look good.

Top Bottom