Pseudocydonia sinensis / Chinese quince

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Wondering.. How well do the cuts heal on this one?

It's dark outside (and cold, brrrrr...), and I haven't paid much attention to this one.
It must be repotted, that's the only thing I can remember, so it hasn't changed much because it must be root-bound by now.

Photos tomorrow.
Or the day after tomorrow.
Or the day after, cross my heart.

I love being inside listening to "exotic music" having tea before confronting the cold with a melody that makes me feel like dancing, swinging smoothly, and later get back inside and have a good vegetable soup with steam on my glasses :cool:

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Not satisfied yet. :(
At least, the first leaves were not killed by the frost.
I would like the top to widen, get stronger. I must add some substrate to the base, hide the roots I think...

pseudocydonia01_220629a.jpg

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Any tips for a new fake cydonia keeper?

I didn't get that at first : but perhaps you meant "pseudo-cydonia" by "Fake cydonia" ?...

Got it now... 😁

Ah, "old age is a wreck..." (la vieillesse est un naufrage), Charles deGaulle.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not really. I was rather waiting for tips from others actually...
It seems an interesting species for bonsai, but I do not run into them all that often. Perhaps because of slow thickening? Mine are just babies, maybe 2 inches / 5cm thick?

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Mine are just babies, maybe 2 inches / 5cm thick?

The base of mine is hardly an inch, 2 cm+ at most. :(

I saw a big, great one at Saulieu years ago, but I can't find my photos again (again!). I was a very impressive specimen, at least 80 cm tall, with fine ramifications. And I thought: "I want one!". It was a tree by Fred(éric) Chenal. I think this is the one but since there's no credit (boo, bad!...) I can't be 100% sure :

EDIT : and why is the link in cyrillic alphabet??? Have they decided to invade the world of bonsai too ?

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Update :

pseudocydonia01_220902a.jpg

I was looking for the thread on a very nice one, by a German, or Dutch (?) member, but couldn't find it again. I tried the search engine with "pseudocedonia" and "chinese+quince", but...

It's such a nice tree, many will know what and who I'm referring to.

And I hope he will forgive me if he's not German or Dutch, and after all there's no shame in being German or Dutch or Belgian. 😌

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I was looking for the thread on a very nice one, by a German, or Dutch (?) member, but couldn't find it again. I tried the search engine with "pseudocedonia" and "chinese+quince", but...
You do not mean the one Brian has on here?

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Crazy weather !
Only two nights with a slight frost (-1, -3°C) here, and today, December 25th, it's 13°C this afternoon and it was 9°c last night !
Buds are beginning to swell, while a couple of leaves are still on the branches. I've never seen that, so early :

pseudocydonia01_231226a.jpg pseudocydonia01_231226b.jpg

We often have frosts in February, so I must remember to watch the weather forecast, and put it in the garage if need be...

Top Bottom