Pruning Tips

Apex37

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I was curious what the usual course of action is when you have a branch that only has a downward or upward growing branch. This is for a crepe myrtle, as I'm sure this might be handled based on species and how well they backbud. I know this is usually not ideal and these branches are removed.

Should in this case the whole branch removed or what would usually be recommended?

Attachments

• PXL_20210910_143424436.jpg
    PXL_20210910_143424436.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 11
This is very-very early to worry about branching, as you don't yet have a trunk. But in that instance on a developing tree, you would wire the shoulder of the branch off the trunk and give it a downward move, wiring the slightly upward branch in the same fashion.

Here is Marks thread on his Texas Shohin Crape

This is very-very early to worry about branching, as you don't yet have a trunk. But in that instance on a developing tree, you would wire the shoulder of the branch off the trunk and give it a downward move, wiring the slightly upward branch in the same fashion.

Here is Marks thread on his Texas Shohin Crape
Yeah these tend to grow very very long shoots up to 18". This will only be my second and last trimming on this tree since I've had it at the beginning of the year. I've been letting it grow wild. I was asking more for advice so I know in those circumstances.

I bought one early this year... it is still untouched. There is not point if there are no bones, I plan on letting the base get thick and work the roots, once it is thick enough I will worry about the top.

I should point out that it is Scott... as markyscott . I got confused as I was posting in a rush.

Back
Top Bottom