erikscanon

Seed
Reaction score
Hello, all!

The name is Erik, I'm new here, and new to bonsai! I've been sinking hours and hours and hours into learning over the past two weeks and am seeking help on literally a "crap" PJN. This was originally 40" x 20" x 20" at the nursery and was only $40. I tried to dig inside to see the structure but could literally not after 5-10 minutes of trying for how THICK it was inside with dead crap. So, I tried my best and choosing one with the most branches as well as height. However, when I started cleaning it out I saw an amazing trunk but horrendous branch structure that will only let me choose one front. It does have an amazing apex though for a cascade.

Anyway, I attached some photos below for help. The colors are coordinated to each branch (to get a better understanding) and I've attached the regular photos as well. I'd LOVE to have a cascade, but sometimes things don't work out and you have to do what's best for the design. So, at this point, I'm REALLY considering taking EVERYTHING off and creating an apex heavy PJN as you see in the photo named (JPN-4) + (JPN-2). As I said, the trunk looks great and could maybe jin some branches. I love the cascade though, but with how the (blue) and (yellow) branches overlap, I don't know if it's possible.

Also, photo (JPN-1) is the front, and (JPN-3) is the back. I also don't have a branch cutter.

Please and thanks for your help. Everything else I'm working on has been a fun challenge, but I'd hate to spend $40 and take 90% of the tree away, but I guess live and learn by creating a beautiful trunk single branch cascade??

Thanks!

Attachments

• JPN-1.jpg
    JPN-1.jpg
    403.3 KB · Views: 68
  • JPN-3.jpg
    JPN-3.jpg
    423.4 KB · Views: 73
  • JPN-4.jpg
    JPN-4.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 65
  • JPN-2.jpg
    JPN-2.jpg
    273.5 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG-9521.JPG
    IMG-9521.JPG
    418.7 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG-9522.JPG
    IMG-9522.JPG
    400.9 KB · Views: 74
Here's an extra photo of it as a whole.

Attachments

• IMG-9518.JPG
    IMG-9518.JPG
    366.7 KB · Views: 67
Welcome to Crazy!

It is still whole?

The roots there on top seem enough to support the tree, so rather than style much, I'd aim to keep it healthy, with them roots covered, until the first full moon after the summer Solstice. Then Repot it, by sawing across the top of the pot there, and tying it securely in a training pot.

Wire it some then after the Solstice in '21.

Or perhaps wait till Spring '22 and give it a good hack back for closer branches.

Sorce

If I didn't see that camera....

Oh nevermind.

Sorce

Nice find.
What @source said. Only, I would repot now.
No harm in growing it and looking at it for a couple of years. Don't cut off options.

Hi Erik,
Please add your location to your profile. Also with junipers don't flush cut leave a stub you can jin later.

All those colored lines is distracting, can't even focus on the tree. What was your reasoning for cutting the branches flush?

Back
Top Bottom