pot suggestions

tismeisthatu

Yamadori
Reaction score
Here is my windswept hornbeam, restyled this winter. I'm looking for pot/slab recommendations or even virts. I'm leaning toward slab with a rock/wall behind the tree. The vision being the rock/wall sheltered the tree for many a year & then the elements hit it. Any suggestion will be appreciated. Ignore the branch in the centre of the tree as this will be jined at a later date. Sorry aboutt the quality of the photo.

Attachments

• 20131229_095147.jpg
    20131229_095147.jpg
    184.9 KB · Views: 27
  • 20131229_095225.jpg
    20131229_095225.jpg
    187.6 KB · Views: 28

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
If you are striving for a windswept look, that big first branch that goes against the wind will either have to go or have some severe wiring done.

The tree is still pretty undeveloped. I'd hold off with any serious thoughts of a final pot for it for a while.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
JKL, he said to ignore that branch....:p
I don't know how well you can develop trees on a slab, unless it's a pocketed one, and you still need to develop this one some. I would go for a rough oval, with a lot of texture (like a Cochoy) for now if you want to get it in a better pot.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
If you are striving for a windswept look, that big first branch that goes against the wind will either have to go or have some severe wiring done.

I think that's the one he stated to ignore, as it will be jinned at a later date.

On your question of container, consider something like this:
http://bonsaitrees.com/detail.php?id=330&catid=5

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Oh, I like Brians idea. I never think of crescents cause I don't really like them on most things I see them with. but this one, maybe...

tismeisthatu

Yamadori
Reaction score
JKL, he said to ignore that branch....:p
I don't know how well you can develop trees on a slab, unless it's a pocketed one, and you still need to develop this one some.

The tree is still pretty undeveloped. I'd hold off with any serious thoughts of a final pot for it for a while.

Excuse my ignorance, & I'm not ungrateful for the info, but why hold of for a pot. I'm only after ramification now in my view, so what difference does it make as to what pot it is in. I mean this tree has been growing very well in the pot its in. I don't wish for any more major growth in height or width as this is the size I'm looking for. Please explain so can understand for future reference.

As for that branch facing the wrong way it will be removed/jinned.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
but why hold of for a pot.

I only say not a slab yet, but a pot yes... Only reason I don't think slab, is that slab life is difficult enough for a developed tree, and might be harder for a tree that is still in (branch) development stages. But if you can give it enough care, you could probably do it, I just have had problems with slabs and drying out quicker, unless it's a pocketed slab.

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I wouldn't jin a branch on a hornbeam, I don't think they lend themselves to jins. I would either shorten it to a couple of buds and keep it short or remove it completely.

tismeisthatu

Yamadori
Reaction score
I only say not a slab yet, but a pot yes... Only reason I don't think slab, is that slab life is difficult enough for a developed tree, and might be harder for a tree that is still in (branch) development stages. But if you can give it enough care, you could probably do it, I just have had problems with slabs and drying out quicker, unless it's a pocketed slab.

Thanks JudyB, that makes sense. I completely understand what you're saying regarding a slab drying out. I appreciate you explaining that.

tismeisthatu

Yamadori
Reaction score
I wouldn't jin a branch on a hornbeam, I don't think they lend themselves to jins. I would either shorten it to a couple of buds and keep it short or remove it completely.

I know traditionally you don't see jins on traditional deciduous looking tree's, but I think a haggard, struggling windswept tree it would lend itself to the harch conditions its supposedly been living in. Well thats my thinking anyway!

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I know traditionally you don't see jins on traditional deciduous looking tree's, but I think a haggard, struggling windswept tree it would lend itself to the harch conditions its supposedly been living in. Well thats my thinking anyway!

Maybe a little stub and a uro would work, but in the conditions you're trying to depict a jin wouldn't last long. I could see a short broken hollowed out stub of the branch base with a elongated uro on the trunk.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I agree 100% with Bob. If the wind blew hard enough to create a windswept tree, it would blow too hard to keep a jin. However, the branch could be bent to also be windswept.

As for a pot, I can't imagine this tree is near being finished. Even (especially) more ramification will make it a very different tree. It seems odd that you'd spend good money on the final pot for it. A cheap, fairly deep, unglazed round would be OK now.

Top Bottom