Pondering skipping the repot for this year...but, think that could pose issues down the road

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I have this bougainvillea cascade which I intended to repot early July. Thing was...I came back with a sinus infection and a parasite from Honduras. So was ill, and unable to do so. It's looking like it's going to bloom now...Pondering do I let it bloom or repot the darn thing so not to have a hiccup come wintering with a root issue. I think a root issue later could set it back. So losing possibly a bloom season is the best route for the health of the tree.

Thoughts...just hate repotting this late in the game. ? @milehigh_7
image.jpg

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
What makes you think you need to repot it? The soil looks pretty fresh. Is it not draining? In my experience, more issues come from repotting than from leaving well enough alone.
It's not been repotted in a few years...but you are right. These are notorious for loving a pot bound setting. Just know it's full of roots. I did top the surface with substrate to cover the roots from sun damage. But it is draining well...it's just to late for my comfort zone to repot. But worry if I will have enough room for roots this winter. But it does have room to raise in its pot from root growth. It gives me crinkly leaves occasionally. Treated for pests...and fungal. I can see healthy roots under the top surface of substrate I added this season. But the pot is quite full of roots. But...it's not having any drainage issues. So, it would be great to leave it another year. No lip to the pot...I don't see it breaking from being root bound.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
It will be fine. The question is, will you be??
Lol...still dealing with pulmonary. ? I am actually glad you voiced my deep inner self saying...LEAVE IT BE! It's just not been potted since placed in that pot. Never had one so pot bound...but it is draining well. So no worries. Last winter it really put out a lot of roots. Because I place on side and wrap the pot in plastic to keep substrate inside the pot.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I agree you don't need to repot. But in the future....

This...
Last winter it really put out a lot of roots
Should offer you a lot of comfort to repot anytime. Like this Month or even later...in future years.

Further.....with this tree that doesn't need a great surface rootage to be interesting....
Your root work never has to be too aggressive...its already in a pot...

Win win Enjoy win!

I think you are One with this tree...
But just don't realize it yet!

Sorce

Top Bottom