Pondering a purchase...

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
A ginkgo of all things. Their fall color is stunning.
The base to me...makes me think of the melting nebari...with the way they form those melting bulges I think the base would work for the tree. The URO could be more carved out as well I'm thinking. Turning this a bit to show the URO. Or keeping it as is...to show case the forming bulge forming on the trunk.
18156462_446207562396459_6713950028516721027_o.jpg

Back side...(EDIT TO ADD THIS PHOTO)
17991733_446207512396464_2497450245454437617_o.jpg

Was hoping to go with something similar to this...with the URO more pronounced.
551836147_o.jpg

Last edited:

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Nice one, it must have been grown by a bonsai nursery. You've got there all low branching I will have to chop mine for getting it.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
It's 14" tall...2 1/2" trunk...and nebari 4". I'm calling it mine. The past few auctions the ginkgo has caught my eye. Even the one up for auction this week...but this one is more mature...and has a growth forming already which I like the quirkiness of it. Possibly will carve that URO deeper. We shall see.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I would definitely snatch that one up. I'm pondering the one in the auctions page too. But I'm sure I'll be outbid on it lol

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I would definitely snatch that one up. I'm pondering the one in the auctions page too. But I'm sure I'll be outbid on it lol

You never know...wait and bit at the end of auction. Seller is solid. I've got trees from him a few times. Glad we won't go head to head on a bidding war for it. ;) So your chances are better now.

Thanks, yup I chose it over a few other photos to choose from. Still pondering another...if I will add two or not. My brain says...head count on trees...but, my heart says...send me more angles.lol

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
You never know...wait and bit at the end of auction. Seller is solid. I've got trees from him a few times. Glad we won't go head to head on a bidding war for it. ;) So your chances are better now.

Thanks, yup I chose it over a few other photos to choose from. Still pondering another...if I will add two or not. My brain says...head count on trees...but, my heart says...send me more angles.lol
Same here lol! My brain says- save for a car, but my heart says- I LOVE ginkgos haha

I was talked out of that exposed root satsuki so now I'm dyinggg to purchase a new tree...

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Same here lol! My brain says- save for a car, but my heart says- I LOVE ginkgos haha

I was talked out of that exposed root satsuki so now I'm dyinggg to purchase a new tree...

His shipping rates are fare...keep that in mind. Exposed root Satsuki is a purchase that hits the wallet. One when you are ready for one...you will make with ease and no quandries. Surely this ginkgo will go for pocket change the Neagari/exposed root would have set you back. Watch it...I'm pulling for you to come out with that tree.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
His shipping rates are fare...keep that in mind. Exposed root Satsuki is a purchase that hits the wallet. One when you are ready for one...you will make with ease and no quandries. Surely this ginkgo will go for pocket change the Neagari/exposed root would have set you back. Watch it...I'm pulling for you to come out with that tree.
Good to know- that's what I always hate about online buying... the shipping often makes it not a deal anymore! And that satsuki I was talked out of was won at a steal IMO- $300!

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I'm not real familiar either. Which is why I posted...But...I can see it further developed. So...that's a start. Looking for fall colors for the bench.

You will find it to be rather fast growing and very sturdy. Ginkgo will grow just fine where you are all year outdoors, and need at least 6 hours of sun here during growing season. They will grow in most any substrate but do not like getting to dry. Here, potted they need organic to endure the sun and not get to dry.
Very nice trees though and just awesome in the Fall!

Grimmy

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
You will find it to be rather fast growing and very sturdy. Ginkgo will grow just fine where you are all year outdoors, and need at least 6 hours of sun here during growing season. They will grow in most any substrate but do not like getting to dry. Here, potted they need organic to endure the sun and not get to dry.
Very nice trees though and just awesome in the Fall!

Grimmy
Thanks Grimmy! Yup...fall colors is where I'm at on my journey.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Grow this in the "Flame" style. Unique to Ginko.

You will have to do some research on how to properly train these. They're a little different from everything else.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Grow this in the "Flame" style. Unique to Ginko.

You will have to do some research on how to properly train these. They're a little different from everything else.

Thanks Adair...will look into that. I know this one is the chi chi ginkgo. The dwarf variety so far that I've read. And the one that produces the growths. Reading the straight ones...usually never produce them in a gardeners lifetime. Didn't realize they had two kinds at least if not more. Assumed all got the quirky growths.

http://louistheplantgeek.com/a-gardening-journal/569-ginkgo-biloba-chi-chi

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Pretty nice ginkgo stock. Good to find one with a nice base, taper, and branching; it's half the battle.
I'm growing mine entirely clip & grow. Hasn't had a wire on a single branch for any of its 20 years.
They're trouble free, especially when the design is about set like yours is.
6174585696_IMG_6424.JPG

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thanks @Brian Van Fleet! To hear that you mimic what I had seen in the material.

I did do some searching on the forum to see your tree. But, never realized you accomplished so much by clip and grow. I'm very VERY impressed by that and the direction as to where it is now. Thanks for taking the time to comment. If I have any questions...I will mentally think of contacting you with your knowledge. Thanks again.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Good to know- that's what I always hate about online buying... the shipping often makes it not a deal anymore! And that satsuki I was talked out of was won at a steal IMO- $300!

:eek: That is an heard of price for a Neagari. Just know...you bidding may not have kept it low. The other bidder may have wanted it more.

Top Bottom