Pink Lady Flowering Quince

fredtruck

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There have been some interesting flowering quinces posted here recently, so I thought I would add my Pink Lady to the stream. Pink Lady is a cross between Japonica and the species. It has been the consistently heaviest bloomer I have. In my possession since 2002, its gangly, sprawling nature has presented a styling challenge. It is very slow to ramify, so my current goal is to get the tree to ramify so some of the open spaces are filled.

Attachments

• Pink Lady 1-19-12ul.jpg
    Pink Lady 1-19-12ul.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 132

garywood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Fred, very nice Quince! Have you thought of a "softer" pot?
Wood

fredtruck

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You mean like an oval, a very shallow oval? Or maybe a shallow rectangle with really rounded corners? I haven't, but I think if I found just the right one, I might go for it. That's an interesting thought. The tree has been in this pot from the beginning.

Mike423

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very neat and unusual flowers, thanks for sharing.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
It's not the same cultivar, but I have a quite similar plan. You might consider a windswept for yours -- which is stunning, BTW.

And here's a "softer" pot?????

Attachments

• WINDS004.JPG
    WINDS004.JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 66

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have never seen one with such a color scheme. Sometimes it's enough... would be better with some ramification, but it's so very nice even as is.

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I love it!
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

I love your signature, but you need to update it, for the 21st century:

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes, after slashing their tires.
That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away, you have their shoes, and they can't drive to find you.

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
honestly fred... the empty space in this tree has always been what i loved most about it ...... she is lovely as always.... :) :) getting more lovely each year

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would add some nice moss around the nebari. Looking at the soil is the only thing that bothers me a little. Otherwise, I like it.

fredtruck

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank you very much, Judy. The colors I get are the result of having this tree bloom in low light conditions, in my garage. It frequently blooms in June, also, but then the flowers are a deep, blazing pink, because it is outside in partial sun. This particular tree, I can say from experience, produces different shadings and colors depending on the amount of light it is exposed to.

crust

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3A
Lovely flowers. I wonder if these would do well here in Minnesota. My storage usually does not get below about 10 degrees or so but its the springs I worry about. I find them irresistably beautiful as just a plant.

Randy

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
honestly fred... the empty space in this tree has always been what i loved most about it ...... she is lovely as always.... :) :) getting more lovely each year

Wispy........

(Did you know a post needs a minimum of 10 characters? hence the ......)

fredtruck

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
>>I wonder if these would do well here in Minnesota.

Before we bought our present house, at our old house I wintered this quince, as well as others, in something like a polycarb tent. It was unheated, but I really mulched in the bonsai. It often got that cold or colder. I think with care, it can be done in Minnesota. The main thing is to keep the wind away so the quince don't dry out.

daygan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
fredtruck, I've actually seen this tree of yours before when I was doing image searches of quinces to get some ideas for my own. Good tree. I definitely think a more feminine pot (i.e. oval, rounded edges) would better compliment the character of the tree.

One question: in your experience, do quinces' trunks thicken easily, or do they tend to stay the same thickness regardless of how much vegetation is on top?

fredtruck

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for your suggestion on the pot.

In my experience, quince trunks hardly thicken at all. I have one clump that is approaching 90 years old (that I'll be posting later this winter) and I think the thickest trunk of the bunch is .75". I've seen pictures of single-trunk quinces that have trunks that are thicker, but those are very rare, I think.

Top Bottom