Peach tree Bonsai?

Stinkfist

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Hi all, new here and to Bonsai, just got a 10-12 year old Barbados Cherry doing well, hopefully get some fruit soon.

So I have a peach tree in my yard that was doing very well, except that the deer absolutely love it and have chewed it down to basically just one branch remaining which is very healthy. Most of the Trunk seems like it is dead? No new growth and every branch shows no signs of life. I have yet to check the trunk with a scratch test but not too hopeful for most of it.

Anyways, any chance I can convert this into a larger bonsai? Seems like they are a pain? I have already decided to remove the tree and replace it with 2 pluots.. so not too worried about killing it, but would like to save it and thought this might be fun to try?

How do you deal with the graft union? Seems like it would start out making the bonsai pretty tall?

I bought a couple of books on bonsai but my knowledge is very limited, I have some experience with fruit trees just not making them this small lol.

Any thoughts or comments are welcome thanks in advance!

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Saving a fruit tree for bonsai is definitely fun and you will learn plenty from the attempt.
On the down side peach is a not such a good choice for bonsai - They do not ramify well so getting great branch structure is real hard. Also plenty of disease problems, some relating to pruning (gummosis, etc)
Plus side is peach flower well and from a young age.
Graft union may not be a problem. Peaches are usually grafted onto peach stock so if you chop below the graft you still have a peach. Might have different flowers and fruit but still a peach.
Keeping the existing graft it is a lottery. Sometimes the graft grows fast and makes a lump which is a big problem for bonsai. Other times it completely disappears so no problem at all. Usually there's no difference in foliage but there may be different colored flowers if you get some branches growing below the graft.

I've given up trying for peach bonsai but that should not deter others from trying or using peaches for practice material.

ShimpakuBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Where do you live?
Please fill your profile info with your location and USDA zone for better advice.

Stinkfist

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
IMG_3881.jpeg
Sorry best picture I could get, it was still dark. Can try again after work

roberthu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Peach trees have been used for bonsai for hundreds of years in China. Actually most fruit trees have been used for bonsai for hundreds of years. They only carry 1 or 2 fruits when grown in pots though simply because how big the fruits are.

Stinkfist

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
A somewhat better picture, the area circled in red is the only signs of life it seems to have everything above and below blue circles seems dead?
IMG_3882.jpeg

Top Bottom