Peach tree grafting can y'all help.

I S A A C

Sapling
Reaction score
ive only been doing bonsai for a few months,and my neighbors peach tree was growing into my yard and I was thinking about attempting grafting. I was wondering if y'all had any pointers (soil,fertilizer water etc.) so if y'all could give pointers I'd be very thankful. Should have pictures coming soon! (P.s I posted this on fruiting for obvious reasons and posted a similar thread on "new to bonsai" forum and didn't get any responses)

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
my neighbors peach tree was growing into my yard and I was thinking about attempting grafting
I think the correct term is air layering.

It's actually a whole lot more enjoyable for you if you start with something like elms of trident maples, assuming you live in a temperate climate.

I think peaches are more prone to diseases and insects. Their leaves are also on the larger size and don't reduce well from what I read...

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
ive only been doing bonsai for a few months,and my neighbors peach tree was growing into my yard and I was thinking about attempting grafting. I was wondering if y'all had any pointers (soil,fertilizer water etc.) so if y'all could give pointers I'd be very thankful. Should have pictures coming soon! (P.s I posted this on fruiting for obvious reasons and posted a similar thread on "new to bonsai" forum and didn't get any responses)

Welcome to B-Nut! :)

I suspect you meant to say air-layer or rooting cuttings... I just don't understand how grafting works out here...

Grimmy

I S A A C

Sapling
Reaction score
Welcome to B-Nut! :)

I suspect you meant to say air-layer or rooting cuttings... I just don't understand how grafting works out here...

Grimmy
air layering I’m not familiar with the subject could you eleborate please and thanks for the warm welcome

I S A A C

Sapling
Reaction score
Alright here is the tree I’m now thinking about air layering instead of grafting46EA989D-CE91-4FB7-A4FB-005BBAEEC0AE.jpeg

Attachments

• 5CABE2B0-B026-4357-AB95-C2FF51166F65.jpeg
    5CABE2B0-B026-4357-AB95-C2FF51166F65.jpeg
    463 KB · Views: 11
  • ED754DFC-4775-48FD-B4A9-27E4A16196B4.jpeg
    ED754DFC-4775-48FD-B4A9-27E4A16196B4.jpeg
    411.8 KB · Views: 12
  • D2C57ECA-D5CA-4204-AF7E-484EB7106D94.jpeg
    D2C57ECA-D5CA-4204-AF7E-484EB7106D94.jpeg
    389.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 4E3AE007-E277-4794-93D8-4211585C8631.jpeg
    4E3AE007-E277-4794-93D8-4211585C8631.jpeg
    473.7 KB · Views: 13
  • 258CC87A-7E03-4389-BB7E-C50696B7F6EA.jpeg
    258CC87A-7E03-4389-BB7E-C50696B7F6EA.jpeg
    461.2 KB · Views: 11

Solaris

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
It's actually a whole lot more enjoyable for you if you start with something like elms of trident maples, assuming you live in a temperate climate.

My step-sister has some stonefruit in her yard. I forget if they're peaches or apricots. They do reasonably well in 5b without additional protection.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sorry for the Crazy delay!

Welcome to Late !

You can graft roots onto that branch....

But yeaylayer!

Sorce

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think the correct term is air layering.

I think peaches are more prone to diseases and insects. Their leaves are also on the larger size and don't reduce well from what I read...
Just eat a free peach every now and then.
Start with trees that are easy to make into bonsai.
Good sound advice if you ask me.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A

I second that.

Don't bother trying, cuttings, air-layering or any other technique that you've hardly heard of and apparently never experienced before with much easier species.

Eat the peaches when they're ripe, and choose another tree for bonsai. My best, friendly advice ;)

I S A A C

Sapling
Reaction score
I second that.

Don't bother trying, cuttings, air-layering or any other technique that you've hardly heard of and apparently never experienced before with much easier species.

Eat the peaches when they're ripe, and choose another tree for bonsai. My best, friendly advice ;)
Will do I’ll try once I get more experience and do a bit more research until then I’ll be picking peaches to my hearts content.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Root cuttings also intrigue me

Just cut off a root before budbreak (february for instance), put it in growing medium with sealant on the cut, 1/4 inch above soil level. Some weeks later, new buds will appear. Try the search engine, it's been discussed a lot of times.

NB: peach trees are often grafted: so a root-cutting will probably be different from the peaches on the grafted tree.

I S A A C

Sapling
Reaction score
Just cut off a root before budbreak (february for instance), put it in growing medium with sealant on the cut, 1/4 inch above soil level. Some weeks later, new buds will appear. Try the search engine, it's been discussed a lot of times.

NB: peach trees are often grafted: so a root-cutting will probably be different from the peaches on the grafted tree.
Thanks for the info next year I’ll try next year and will update y’all

I S A A C

Sapling
Reaction score
I'll try it, I'd be 20 when or if a seedling does grows but I can't see a reason why not!

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I'll try it, I'd be 20 when or if a seedling does grows but I can't see a reason why not!

Good attitude I S A A C (seedling) has. ;)

Try apricot, they're even better I think -if your winters are not too hard or if you can protect them (you didn't mention your location).

I don't know if I already told this story: about 20 years ago, we were back from a holiday by the sea-side. We made a stop for, you know, what's necessary when you travel (I mean, having a rest every 2 hours or so).

It was a wooded area and I went a little further from the road side to satisfy a wee need. And as I was honoring this wood with my golden humour, I spotted something that looked like a tree seedling, not a weed or anything like the trees around. A 2 or 3 year-old seedling that had a sort of "copper" or brass colour on the bark.

So I removed it with a fork we had in our camping paraphenelia, put it in the yougurt pot one of the kids had just finished, and brought it back home where I put it in a slightly larger pot with soil mix. That must have been in late July or so.

Not knowing what I could do with it, I left it in this pot for a couple of years until I decided to plant it against a wall facing south: I was now sure it was an apricot, probably from a bone someone left after a picnic.

It developped well, I even bent a branch to grow horizontally for over 5 metres (5 yards) but last year, I decided to cut it back to about 1.20 metres (4 feet).

It flowered every year, but if one year I had dozens of pounds of apricots, most of the time, there's a slight frost after it flowers, so all the flowers die.

Now, it's growing leaves again because, of course, I didn't touch the roots.

IMG_9186b.jpg

IMG_9187c.jpg

What's more, it is much less prone to diseases than peach-trees.

My conclusion: eat a peach, but plant an apricot :cool:

And pee on it.

Last edited:

I S A A C

Sapling
Reaction score
I now have my location listed it's my bad for not doing it sooner. Thanks for the story and advice sadly I can't say I've ever had an apricot but I'm willing to try one and growing an apricot tree seems very fun and I'll look at my local nursery to find one.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
If you want to do seed, Look for fruit at your local grocery store.

When you buy apricots - I mean as a fruit, you just don't buy one, so:

- you can use some of them right after eating the fruit. Use a nutcracker, gently break the bone so there's just a slit in it, and plant it in a pot, or:
- put some of the bones in a pot and wait for next spring.

But it takes years to get one that has a decent size, so it's either you're on the slow, patient side ("misho" bonsaï), or want big ones quickly (the "yamadori" approach), in which case a tree from a garden center can be air-layered for a quicker result.

I S A A C

Sapling
Reaction score
Thanks for all the tips on the subject I’ll attempt to grow a apricot and I’ll go the misho approach if I can grow an apricot

Top Bottom