Optimal time to repot boxwood?

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Conflicting info in books on boxwood. Some say boxwood is an indoor tree.
I've kept it outside except for -30 nights.
I'm not finding the time or best temps for a repot.

??

Posted here because I couldn't decide if it was evergreen or deciduous.

Last edited:

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I think they are evergreen and I know they can easily withstand temperatures somewhat below 20F (given that you are in USDA zone 9b. I presume you don't mean "30 below").

I prefer to repot them after the summer solstice.
Of course, they can also be repotted in spring - maybe about now. The old rule of thumb is 'as buds swell', so look in the leaf axils for swelling buds.

Optimal in what way?

Last edited:

Soldano666

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5is
I have boxwood in Maine, brink of zone 4 -20 f winter threats. All still kicking with minimal outdoor protection. I repot as soon as colors comeback to green from the orange brown evergreen winter color. Basically as soon as the wake up aka bud swell. I have read about the summer solstice time frame just have not tried it yet. @sorce has pulled this off with success I believe

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The "books" say these things because of that Kingsville that can afford protection.

Summer repot. Rain and Wane.

Boxwood for Real.

Sorce

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Mine has been in a ridiculously small pot for 2 winters of below zero setting on the ground only. Very tough.
I don't like the thing much and see little future in it so I tortured it to see what it could handle. It's now earned my respect so I guess I'll have to give it some love this year.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I repot every second year in the spring as buds swell. Unless growing out in larger containers.
For protection i keep them in an unheated greenhouse to protect from hard frost. This means in my climate they are rarely exposed to anything colder than -10 and not in the wind at all. Working with Kingsville only!
I find they like a bit deeper pot and respond very well to Kanuma/ Akadama mix rather than coarser drier components. Do not let them dry out, they develop very fine roots in bonsai pots generally. Use a low number organic fertilizer. Fish fert is a favorite weekly! Keep in partial sun/shade tends to give better color. We tend to have a hotter drier summer and my site is generally very sunny!

Hyn Patty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I was recently given a boxwood from a friend and it's very NOT cold hardy, so I have had to keep it in the basement a lot this winter. Still it's outside enjoying the rain now. Any information about
Buxus harlandii is much appreciated. I've been protecting it from anything lower than 40 degrees and it's growing just fine. Googling up what I can read up on it. It was smothered with wonderful smelling sweet little flowers! But like the rest of you, I'm not sure when would be the best time to repot and how often. So far the substrate looks fine and I can ask my friend how often she was repotting and when last. I may also put it into the ground to grow for the warm season and then dig it up again well before it gets too chilly this autumn.

Maloghurst

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I collected and mostly barerooted (because it was sandy soil) 3 boxwood in June ( because they were being torn out).They all died. For whatever that’s worth. I would not bare root on a hot day in June. :) for me it’s early spring.

Top Bottom