Opinions on Pinus contorta styling

jferrier

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here it is after the first wiring attempt. I've not wired the smallest branches yet hoping they will increase in size and backbud a bit before wiring them downwards. It had been reduced by almost 50%, and needs to be worked to develop better taper at the top of the main trunk. I didn't want to do too much at once so I plan on reworking that portion once it regains vigor. I'm not exactly thrilled with the current overall look though and wanted to get some opinions on styling. I'm leaning towards the first pic as the front view but not set on it. The trunk is about 3" wide and the tree stands about 2' tall. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_0466.jpg
    IMG_0466.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_0468.jpg
    IMG_0468.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 57

nathanbs

Omono
Reaction score
I hate to say it but I have to wonder what the tree looked like before you reduced its height by 50%?

jferrier

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Umm

I hate to say it but I have to wonder what the tree looked like before you reduced its height by 50%?

It looked about 50% taller. Why reply if you are not going to offer any suggestions?

nathanbs

Omono
Reaction score
Ok fair enough. My suggestion is you should have left the tree 50% taller and you could of had a very nice tall elegant mother daughter tree.

jferrier

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ok fair enough. My suggestion is you should have left the tree 50% taller and you could of had a very nice tall elegant mother daughter tree.

Well that's a pretty useless suggestion without a time machine isn't it? I had intended to divert some energy into the lower portion and let the top grow upwards again to try and develop some taper. I'd read to start with the lower branches and work up since the crown naturally tends to grow and fill out quicker.

nathanbs

Omono
Reaction score
You can certainly regrow a new apex as planned it will just take longer. At the end the added taper will be nicer. My time machine suggestion would have eliminated a good portion of your lower branches as they would have taken away from the design. At this point I think you did a good job. Just keep building on the branches and develop an apex and see what inspires you. Sorry to not have specific suggestions or a virtual image for you.

Brian Underwood

Chumono
Reaction score
I think you have a good idea of what you want, but an inability to get there. Work on your wiring. It would help to use copper instead of aluminum since it is stiffer and will have to stay on for a long time. When you get a hold of some copper, wire EVERY branch. This will lay down the base of design, and the branching and ramification will come with time.

jferrier

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You can certainly regrow a new apex as planned it will just take longer. At the end the added taper will be nicer. My time machine suggestion would have eliminated a good portion of your lower branches as they would have taken away from the design. At this point I think you did a good job. Just keep building on the branches and develop an apex and see what inspires you. Sorry to not have specific suggestions or a virtual image for you.

I'm not sure I follow you. Are there lower branches you think I should lose, or would that have been if the tree wasn't reduced? This is what I had in mind, but again I'm not moved by it.

Attachments

• IMG_0463r.jpg
    IMG_0463r.jpg
    194.6 KB · Views: 38

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I think I see where you are going with this. I think you are headed in the right direction. There is good potential here. However, it is going to take about 10 more years. If you are willing to put the time into this material, it will will probably pay off. If you let the top grow, it will heighten the tree and create taper.

I will say that to make this work, you will need a fair amount of knowledge about pines. If you have someone who is knowledgeable about them, I would defer to their guidance.

It is a good start.

Rob

jferrier

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think you have a good idea of what you want, but an inability to get there. Work on your wiring. It would help to use copper instead of aluminum since it is stiffer and will have to stay on for a long time. When you get a hold of some copper, wire EVERY branch. This will lay down the base of design, and the branching and ramification will come with time.

Yeah my wiring does need a lot of work. I usually do use copper but wanted to try this wire I found at a bonsai store. It isn't very stiff though as you mentioned. For what its worth, I've not had this tree even a full season, so I'm fully expecting several more years of training to get where I want to be with it.

jferrier

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think I see where you are going with this. I think you are headed in the right direction. There is good potential here. However, it is going to take about 10 more years. If you are willing to put the time into this material, it will will probably pay off. If you let the top grow, it will heighten the tree and create taper.

I will say that to make this work, you will need a fair amount of knowledge about pines. If you have someone who is knowledgeable about them, I would defer to their guidance.

It is a good start.

Rob

I'm somewhat confident with JBP but this is a new species for me. I'd read it's more like training Japanese white pine which I have no experience with.

nathanbs

Omono
Reaction score
I'm not sure I follow you. Are there lower branches you think I should lose, or would that have been if the tree wasn't reduced? This is what I had in mind, but again I'm not moved by it.

That is what I was saying. Your virt as rob said is definitely going in the right direction for what you have to work with. You will refine your vision as you refine your tree

Top Bottom