One of the moist important bonsai videos - a must see

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
'I often focused on trees that were commercially successful'

This is interesting, because ive often heard you say, they dont collect deciduous trees much in Japan due to the scars and holes those trees carry, they would be difficult to sell on.

'Now im focused on catching the severity of the natural environment'

Also interesting, but not knew if youve followed Walter for many years😊

Housguy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>
I love it, that is how I always thought about bonsai, highlight the natural beauty of the tree's lines and at the same time create a tree that looks like it is struggling from the mountains in a more natural form and not this picture-perfect show tree. Even though I follow the basic guidelines for creating bonsai, I consider myself more of a naturalist bonsai artist.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
The latest styling of that juniper reminds me of one of Dan Robinson's iconic carved junipers, though this one has a fuller canopy. I like it. I still appreciate and enjoy the original styling and can see a place for both a highly manicured "clean" rendition and the naturalistic one together in the same show or on my bench.

Last edited:

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
The latest styling of that juniper reminds me of one of Dan Robinson's iconic carved junipers, though this one has a fuller canopy. I like it. I still appreciate and enjoy the original styling and can see a place for both highly manicured "clean" rendition and the naturalistic one together in the same show or on my bench.
I saw that too, not as rugged but wild looking still.

Dabbler

Shohin
Reaction score
I always just let Bonsai do what Bonsai do - whether it's got 4 trunks or 1 or doesn't "fit" what a typical bonsai looks like - there all great to me

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I am fairly new into Bonsai (almost 1 year), and I am curious if stepping away from the external/cosmetic factors is all-encompassing like leaving the bark alone, live veins, deadwood, shari/jin etc. and recreating what the natural elements of wind and weather would create, keeping with lines and movement of trunk line and branches.

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Thanks for sharing. So cool how he was able to express this change in perspective in what would otherwise be viewed as a "finished" tree.

hardtimes

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
it wasnt until i saw a bonsai done in a natural style that i decided to try this art for myself. tightly pruned bonsai or landscape trees just do not appeal to my eyes

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thank you Walter! Really appreciate you sharing this.

It’s wonderful to see a Japanese bonsai master step back and reflect on the true essence of bonsai beauty.

This seems to be a first step back to the past centuries of Japanese bonsai when line, character, along with good bones supplants the carefully coiffed stylistic approach of this generation.

Interested in seeing how Mtr Kobayashi would take this mindset to other species.

Cheers
DSD sends

nuttiest

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Are you kidding? I had the shift 30 years ago and it was certainly not taken well by the bonsai community until recently. Now the tide seems to somehwat change in my direction.
Lol. 'recently' might mean a decade ago ago. Hard to tell what is trending in different regions. But here, at least, Walter Pall is the first name you might learn when getting into bonsai.

nuttiest

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
….and Dan Robinson? 😉

Beat
DSD sends
I wish, not sure what I was thinking when first getting into bonsai, but never looked into the most important or historic artists. It was a recent thread here on bonsaiNut that introduced me to Dan Robinson.
I think many shy away from learning that aspect at first so as not to be influenced on styles.

Top Bottom