new juniper is still moist after 4 days.

nash2000

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
4 days ago I received my first tree (juniper) as a gift bought from a road side vendor (we get them up here often) the tree has some brown foilage and for what I was told it was caused by over watering...I was instructed to let it dry out before adding anymore water and I was also told that the trees water intake gets less as winter comes but 4 days seems a little much. The soil the tree came in appears to be ordinary soil...what should I do, let it be and wait for the soil to dry (not moist to the touch) or do I need
to take some king of action.

You want the soil to be moist (not dry) but definitely not wet or waterlogged. If it is too wet, the roots will drown and rot - too dry and they will dry out.

Where is your tree located? If it is outside and it is moist and/or rainy, you may not need to water your tree for weeks - if at all.

You want the soil to be moist (not dry) but definitely not wet or waterlogged. If it is too wet, the roots will drown and rot - too dry and they will dry out.

Where is your tree located? If it is outside and it is moist and/or rainy, you may not need to water your tree for weeks - if at all.

Well, the tree has been outside since day 1 (4 days ago) and I'm yet to water it since I received it. One of the members commented on my picture that k attached in my first thread, he said it appeared wet and to allow it to dry. The man that was selling them had a sign on his bench that said "30 mins of sun, water,water,water, need more info...go to local library" I kind of laughed when I read it, I also feel that he watered all of his trees quite a bit maybe even too much but he must know what he's doing since be had several $300+ trees. But who knows.

Just because a sticker says $300 doesn't mean much. A travelling vendor mostly depends on beginners such as yourself. Or people who had never even considered bonsai before they see one in real life and buy it more as a curiosity. He'll be able to get away with much higher prices in these instances than with someone who's been around a while and bought many trees of various prices. If he's planting junipers in highly organic soil that tells me he isn't much of an authority.

Just because a sticker says $300 doesn't mean much. A travelling vendor mostly depends on beginners such as yourself. Or people who had never even considered bonsai before they see one in real life and buy it more as a curiosity. He'll be able to get away with much higher prices in these instances than with someone who's been around a while and bought many trees of various prices. If he's planting junipers in highly organic soil that tells me he isn't much of an authority.

I agree. When I was first told about the guy I drove over to check his inventory, he had a lot of trees most of which were junipers but I decided not to buy one because I thought they were over prices and I didn't really care for his customer service which was basically zero. My brother ended up buying one the next day as a gift. Tiny juni, not sure of age, for $22. I hear retailers use regular soil for shipping or transformation reasons...don't really understand that but he was from Texas which is a few miles away from Maine. Im hoping the soil will hold up until spring for when I can repot.

It will be fine in that soil, (until you repot next spring) as long as you wait to water it until it needs it. Your tree is just slowing down water uptake in the cooler weather, and that soil will hold moisture for a long time. So don't worry about it, just check it and water as necessary.

It will be fine in that soil, (until you repot next spring) as long as you wait to water it until it needs it. Your tree is just slowing down water uptake in the cooler weather, and that soil will hold moisture for a long time. So don't worry about it, just check it and water as necessary.

That's what I'm doing, although it just starting raining so I had to move it but its still outside. Now that I have this one I want more but I think I'll be smart to try to keep this one alive thru my first winter, if it lives well...I guess I did something right plus I want to read and learn as much as I can.

Hello nash2000

In Spring, Summer and Fall, junipers need about 5-8 hours of sun a day. In Winter, sun is not that important as long as the tree is in the proper winter condtions. Which, for this tree, would be 32-40 degrees F. A little lower of hight for short periods of time will be fine.

Rob

Hello nash2000

In Spring, Summer and Fall, junipers need about 5-8 hours of sun a day. In Winter, sun is not that important as long as the tree is in the proper winter condtions. Which, for this tree, would be 32-40 degrees F. A little lower of hight for short periods of time will be fine.

Rob

He's in maine rob, its 40 degrees there on the 4th of July ! Its probably -10 degrees there by now, its like Canada light. ;) ...

ed.

ed

Back
Top Bottom