Ohioan looking to source Akadama, Pumice and Lava Rock

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Judy,

Do you have an estimate on how much this is volume (CF) wise?

Thanks.

sikadelic

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Here is the link, it's not in the regular cat. choices, you have to use the search function for it....
And sorry, it's BEAM CLAY, not clay king.... oooooops!!!!:eek:
http://www.hollowcreekbonsai.com/ecommerce/50-lb-bag-1-4-clean-red-lava-rock-lava50.rhtml

It comes as a bag in a regular box. UPS is the cheapest choice I had. You have to put it in your cart, and then ask to estimate delivery. It will give you choices at that point, so you can see the cheapest way for your area.
I just spoke with a very nice lady from Beam Clay and hope to get a shipping quote soon. I will update you guys with the cost of shipping 2 50lb bags from NJ to SC. I assume it will be quite steep.

pwk5017

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6/7
Im buying a pallet of laca from them shortly. Most affordable source of lava i have found.

pwk5017

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6/7
I might have a pumice source to add as well.

AC Industrial Minerals. They have a distribution center in ohio. The pumice originates from Hess mining it in Idaho I believe. It didnt work for me, but maybe for others? It was $698 per ton of material 3/8 x #8 gradation. It would have been $250 to ship the pallet to me in Pittsburgh. I am splitting both pallets of material, so I liked that the beam clay product comes in bagged form, and I will most likely order pumice from Wee Trees(any other suggestions for bagged pumice?).

sikadelic

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
As I figured, shipping 2 50lb bags will cost $114. Yikes! I wish I knew somebody buying in bulk. I can't pay that much and I don't have the room/need for more than that.

pwk5017

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6/7
As I figured, shipping 2 50lb bags will cost $114. Yikes! I wish I knew somebody buying in bulk. I can't pay that much and I don't have the room/need for more than that.

lol shipping a full pallet(1 ton) is $155 for me. You need some friends.

sikadelic

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
lol shipping a full pallet(1 ton) is $155 for me. You need some friends.
Tell me about it! No clubs or anything....just you guys. That can good/bad. ;)

I ended up finding dry stall within a couple hours from here. I'm picking up 120lbs for less than $50 in 2 weeks. I'll start warming up now for all the sifting I'll be doing. It's a labor of love!

painter

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
pwk5017
a couple questions about the pumice, what size was it? how did you get a quote from the company, and did it come bagged? and how did you set up delivery?
thanks
painter

pwk5017

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6/7
Tell me about it! No clubs or anything....just you guys. That can good/bad. ;)

I ended up finding dry stall within a couple hours from here. I'm picking up 120lbs for less than $50 in 2 weeks. I'll start warming up now for all the sifting I'll be doing. It's a labor of love!

I use drystall and have for a couple seasons. It will be worth the drive. I am interested to see if I notice a difference between the stuff from wee tree, which should be a lil larger and is non-crushed pumice, versus dry stall.

pwk5017

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6/7
pwk5017
a couple questions about the pumice, what size was it? how did you get a quote from the company, and did it come bagged? and how did you set up delivery?
thanks
painter

Ok, it comes in a bulk sack. Loose material. I emailed the company after doing extensive internet searches for sources. If you want the email, I can search through my email and send it to you. To answer the size question, you need to search the gradation I listed. These industrial companies use a system that is used in engineering I believe. I think i recall a similar system in my soil science classes. Anyways, when you search for soil gradation, you will see that a certain % is retained on one sieve, then another % is retained on the next sieve etc. etc. It will give you a breakdown of how much 1/8" material you can expect, how much 1/4" you can expect and how much in fines/unusable material you can expect. All these bulk deliveries are the same. Its one price for a commercial address. An added fee to a residential address. Another fee on top of that one if you need a liftgate and fork lift at the residential address.

sikadelic

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I use drystall and have for a couple seasons. It will be worth the drive. I am interested to see if I notice a difference between the stuff from wee tree, which should be a lil larger and is non-crushed pumice, versus dry stall.
Please post any differences you notice. I would like to see if theirs is any better. And I love wee tree farm's customer service. Barb was great via email correspondence. I will definitely shop with them in the future.

pwk5017
thanks
painter
Painter, check out beamclay.com. they are located in Jersey and have great customer service as well. Pricing is great too if you dont have to worry about shipping.

About half way down their site on the right, click on bonsai. They have a .pdf that pops out with available products and pricing. I'm trying to attach the document but I cant from my tablet. I dont recall if they have pumice but I know they have 1/4 lava.

red

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Currently getting my 1/4" lava from Ken's World of Bonsai in North Canton, OH for $15/bag.

I get Turface from John Deere Landscaping in North Canton, OH for just under $11/bag.

I'm going to be getting a bag of Dry Stall from Town & Country Co-op in Ashland, OH for $15/bag. This will be my first bag of Dry Stall, so I will be checking to see how it sifts out. If it doesn't work, I plan on purchasing my pumice from houseofbonsai or bonsaijack on ebay.

If I end up going Akadama, I will be purchasing it from EasternLeaf.com. They're $10/bag more than HollowCreekBonsai.com, but their shipping is only $7.95 for Ground if you order 1 bag or 100 bags. I only tested up to 100 bags, but the overall cost ends up way more at HollowCreekBonsai.com because of shipping even at the $10 spread on the per bag price.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I will be bringing home a giant load of soil makings tomorrow. I shall share pics when I get it home.

painter

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
pwk5017
thanks for all the info.
and the beam clay may be good for expanded shale and lava
i may have to take a ride once all this snow and ice is gone.
thanks everyone here.
painter

Dkluch

Seed
Reaction score
Over the past few years has anyone found a local (Ohio) source for Pumice in bulk?

fore

Omono
Reaction score
Never did find a local bulk supplier so I just haul back mine from OR. Was looking to offer bulk here, but the shipping costs were too expensive.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I just want some cheap pumice too!

Like ten gallons.

Shipping absolutely kills me. It costs more than the pumice itself to ship it :mad:

Top Bottom