Looking for a shade item.

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
If you build a pergola with slats closer together, that will create a sun/shade area with no additional shade cloth.
I'm not a fan of slats in pergolas, as they tent to sag with time, as walls yes they work great. This is what I plan on making for my set up, with dual shades... a 70% and a 30% on opposite sides.

1713360628519.png

Or build two pergolas side to side and have one with 70% for JMs and other delicate trees, and the other one with 30% for more hardy trees that can't tolerate 100 degree full sun days here in central Texas. I saw a similar set up being used in one of Bjorn videos of Kouka en. You can see the wires on the pic below.

1713360516794.png

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'm not a fan of slats in pergolas, as they tent to sag with time, as walls yes they work great. This is what I plan on making for my set up, with dual shades... a 70% and a 30% on opposite sides.

View attachment 540760

Or build two pergolas side to side and have one with 70% for JMs and other delicate trees, and the other one with 30% for more hardy trees that can't tolerate 100 degree full sun days here in central Texas. I saw a similar set up being used in one of Bjorn videos of Kouka en. You can see the wires on the pic below.

View attachment 540758
I’ve never had any sag with mine, but they are not large area pergolas.

nuttiest

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What ever happened to good ole laundry poles and sheets?:)

hampton

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
For a per plant addition you can top dress with sphagnum moss and then wire pieces of plastic mesh over the tops of the pots. I originally did this to prevent top dressing from being disturbed but the white plastic had a positive effect of keeping the pots cool/moist for longer.

482C8180-33A2-4ADF-B6D9-45818F166CE8.jpeg

Top Bottom