Hi there...an Ohioan here...needing a bit of help and advice.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
First off...what brought me to this forum was seeing a post on "Tamarix in training". Because I had seen a weeping form bonsai and have the Tamarix in my own yard. And am currently growing roots.

I have read online what soil I need but am unsure when it needs planted...assuming when it has a good root system to sustain it.

So I have been looking into bonsai trying to figure out what to do with this Tamarix...and have seen many bonsai plants and admired a few. Read the juniper bonsai was essentially an easy beginner bonsai. So i had to go out Friday to pick up a birthday gift at Walmart...(hanging head in shame now) because I brought one home. Luckily I was so thrilled with it...since I had planned on stopping at a nursery for yard plant specials...and time wasn't on my side. I parked at the garden center entrance...and walked through quickly...and found this what I believe is a juniper bonsai. Said to be a good beginner bonsai. The sentiment rock had me sold! So...I come home and post a photo to Facebook to learn how horrible it is for them to be glued as it was. (Pebbles all glued in for shipping I gathered) but had no clue it would harm the bonsai.

So I removed the pebbles...and pulled the moss out because it too had glue on it...I have pebbles from when I made a Fairy garden I could put on it...but am concerned I may need to repot it. And also maybe take all the soil off the roots...read one can rake them free of soil.

I don't wish to kill it...only give its chances at living a bigger percentage. Any advice as to how I go about it...would be appreciate. Was so upset over my impulse purchase...yet...felt that the juniper was a good starting bonsai from want I had read earlier on my quest of learning how to make this Tamarix into a bonsai.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 32
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 32
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 36
Welcome!

About the tamarix, unfortunately it's a loooong ways from being bonsai-ready, since it's still so small (and rootless :p). So I'd wait for it to root, then just let it grow wild.

You're keeping the Juniper outdoors I hope?

Welcome!

About the tamarix, unfortunately it's a loooong ways from being bonsai-ready, since it's still so small (and rootless :p). So I'd wait for it to root, then just let it grow wild.

You're keeping the Juniper outdoors I hope?

Lol yeah...that Tamarix is far from being a bonsai. But...I have high hopes. I read to keep it out of direct sun while rooting. I have it getting indirect sunlight indoors. Is that okay? And...should it be wintered so it goes dormant...or kept indoors because of rooting?

As for the Juniper...I have it out in the sunroom on our bistro table...I have a tropical hibiscus and several other indoor plants in there. Yet...do have a place outdoors for the juniper...contemplated planting it on a big rock in our landscape. But wasn't sure how well it would fare...need to get it healthy from having that glue on it. I will put it outdoors tomorrow...after I toss some pebbles on it. Because without that...our heat will dry it out I would imagine rather fast. Not sure if they can be permanently planted outdoors with our zone being a 5b.

Thanks for the advice of putting it outdoors...I had read one site...that said you could do both with it...indoors or out. A seller...forget what site it was...but had seen most listed it for outdoors.

Not sure if they can be permanently planted outdoors with our zone being a 5b.

Thanks for the advice of putting it outdoors...I had read one site...that said you could do both with it...indoors or out. A seller...forget what site it was...but had seen most listed it for outdoors.

I'm pretty sure your juniper is a dwarf Japanese juniper, also called Procumbens "nana". It's hardy to zone 4, which means it will do fine as a landscape tree in your region. It will also do fine as a potted tree in your area, outside....year round..., with a bit of protection during the winter months...keeping it inside for any length of time is actually counter productive and eventually lethal in almost all instances. Now is the time to research overwintering temperate trees...lots of great threads on the subject here...have fun.

I'm pretty sure your juniper is a dwarf Japanese juniper, also called Procumbens "nana". It's hardy to zone 4, which means it will do fine as a landscape tree in your region. It will also do fine as a potted tree in your area, outside....year round..., with a bit of protection during the winter months...keeping it inside for any length of time is actually counter productive and eventually lethal in almost all instances. Now is the time to research overwintering temperate trees...lots of great threads on the subject here...have fun.

GREAT! Your right...I just planted ground cover juniper a short while ago(face palm)...I was told if these are planted in ground they revert back to original size...is this true? While this small...I may keep it in a planter for a bit...maybe work on it cascading downward...to later plant on top of. Boulder in our landscape. This being said...do I need a shallow pot to keep roots from getting deep?

I'll have to search a good way keeping the pot with a bit of protection...thanks!

He has been moved outdoors...and turned it so it looks like a diamond shaped pot verses square...and it looks further off center (the trunk) than before...no longer hangs over the edge...but it will grow...once it gets bigger I am seriously considering letting it cascade over the side.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 11
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 9
Back
Top Bottom