Nursery stock J. Procumbens 3 year progression.

Asymetrix

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is just standard nursery stock J. Procumbens I picked up for 20.00. Its in a bright blue ceramic pot that is purely for training and the only suitable vessel I had at the time.

Sadly I don't have an original photo, but the shari was already present from some trauma it suffered at the nursery.

Year one I barerooted it completely and repotted into inorganic.

Year two it was mostly allowed free growth with some large limbs removed and jinned in the fall.

Year three (current) it was healthy and vigorous and I began grooming the foliage for future wiring.

That being said it has never been fully wired
It is a work in progress with some branches set for future removal and jinning.

I'm trying to keep the split shari as a feature.

I think to really bring out it's potential it needs a major angle change at next repot. It also has a large ugly root that needs dealt with.

Open to any suggestions. It's rough I realize but it has potential.

IMG_20221023_234502094~3.jpgIMG_20231123_103032995.jpgIMG_20231123_103128085.jpg

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Great progress on this tree, I love the deadwood.

I wonder if you’ve considered jinning the leftmost branch? Currently it’s detracting from the primary motion to the right, and the foliage just feels “in the way” to me. Might also be time to start expanding the shari and adding some to the other two trunks!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
This is just standard nursery stock J. Procumbens I picked up for 20.00. Its in a bright blue ceramic pot that is purely for training and the only suitable vessel I had at the time.

Sadly I don't have an original photo, but the shari was already present from some trauma it suffered at the nursery.

Year one I barerooted it completely and repotted into inorganic.

Year two it was mostly allowed free growth with some large limbs removed and jinned in the fall.

Year three (current) it was healthy and vigorous and I began grooming the foliage for future wiring.

That being said it has never been fully wired
It is a work in progress with some branches set for future removal and jinning.

I'm trying to keep the split shari as a feature.

I think to really bring out it's potential it needs a major angle change at next repot. It also has a large ugly root that needs dealt with.

Open to any suggestions. It's rough I realize but it has potential.

View attachment 518577View attachment 518578View attachment 518579
IMG_1754.jpeg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I’d stay with the clump myself & agree with pandacular about the lower L branch.
Looks like you’re on your way. Good start!

Top Bottom