Nursery JBP thoughts

JLBonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Recently found a JBP at my local nursery. Would like some feedback whether this would be good for Bonsai.

Tree is about 3 feet tall and a 3 inch trunk at its base.

Thanks!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 164
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 147
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    206.6 KB · Views: 160
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 137
Needles look pretty short, if it's the right price it might be a good pickup. When this stock isn't grown for bonsai you might have trouble with the whorls that pines put out. Actually is a problem even if it is grown for bonsai.

I bought an Austrian black pine after christmas this year on sale. They had them for living Xmas trees. It had branches in all the right places. Even at the soil level. So I thought it would probably have a good base buried in there. Just repotted it this weekend and what I found down there was actually inverse taper not a fat base. Very disappointed, but for $40 oh well. Maybe I will try a ground layer. It should be a good experiment anyways.

For that price I'd give it a shot. Are you sure it's JBP? Needles look really short. Looks healthy:)

What is it about this tree that you see having potential?

What is it about this tree that you see having potential?

The tree on the links I posted is probably same...look at it now. :) Question is, does he have the vision, time/patience, and skill (or willingness to learn) to deliver?

If it is JBP, I'll snatch it at that price. Esp with those short needles.

The tree on the links I posted is probably same...look at it now. :) Question is, does he have the vision, time/patience, and skill (or willingness to learn) to deliver?

If it is JBP, I'll snatch it at that price. Esp with those short needles.

JBP's of the size like this one, which don't cost you a kidney, are generally pretty good deals. JBP's can generally be made to back bud to where you want them as long as the bark is not thick and producing heavy flakes of four or five layers, if you are careful and watch your timing on doing things to them. Don't get in a hurry with it. You have a lot of growth there that wants to pull a lot of energy. You want to capitalize on that energy. If you are careful you can periodically cut it back in mid summer when you would normally be decandeling the thing and get a good deal of back budding. Don't do this to more than 1/3 of the tree at a time. In a about three seasons you should have new buds breaking in areas lower down the trunk. Allow this new stuff to grow as you continually eliminate the larger stuff above.

Last edited:
I agree with what Vance is saying about back budding but with one major difference in approach. I have had great success in doing a very severe chop all at once as long as I didn't mess with the roots for at least one year. I have done it both mid winter and late winter with great success

Thanks everyone I really appreciate all the feedback and information. I do understand this is a project, that's the part that actually intrigues me. I plan to do a little more research to make sure my skills are up to the test. I will update once I start!!

Thanks again!

Looks to have an interesting trunk...
There's not much useful above the first whorl of branches.
The tree on the links I posted is probably same...look at it now. :)
If it is JBP, I'll snatch it at that price.

I disagree that the tree you posted a link to is remotely similar. That tree has (much) better than average taper, a solid foundation on which to build nebari, and substantial branches that are NOT already lanky with easily-refined sub-branching.

In a similar amount of time as it would take to fix the issues that this tree has (no taper, unknown-but-no-reason-to-believe-it'll-be-good nebari, unusable branching), you could start with younger material more purpose grown and end up with a better tree.

That said, if its worth $63 to you, I'm sure there's something to be learned.

There's not much useful above the first whorl of branches.

I disagree that the tree you posted a link to is remotely similar. That tree has (much) better than average taper, a solid foundation on which to build nebari, and substantial branches that are NOT already lanky with easily-refined sub-branching.

In a similar amount of time as it would take to fix the issues that this tree has (no taper, unknown-but-no-reason-to-believe-it'll-be-good nebari, unusable branching), you could start with younger material more purpose grown and end up with a better tree.

That said, if its worth $63 to you, I'm sure there's something to be learned.

Does that mean you recommend he not obtain this tree? Sometimes we are so anxious to point out the negative aspects of something we forget that a crumby piece of bread is better than a hand full of air if you are hungry.

The experience of trying to make this tree work is better than no experience, and the time spent while trying to find the perfect piece of stock. Even a stick in a pot is not a total waste, it just seems like it, and someone just starting out should know it is a long term investment of time. This tree, though not a stick in a pot, could take some time to develop, but that is good time spent as long as this is not the only tree in the forest.

Last edited:
You should dig around the base to see if this is a grafted tree ? Has this been mentioned ?
It may still be worth the effort if this is a good graft - but you should know before you make the purchase. If you read the tag on the tree and it is a named cultivar of JBP it probably is grafted. The graft line can look ugly and create taper/transition problems that are had to over come. Good luck. Tom

Does that mean you recommend he not obtain this tree?

I stated that if he's willing to part with $63 to take this tree home, I imagine he'll learn something from the experience. I feel like there is a better tree(s?) to be had in the same amount of time by starting with other material, even with the same expenditure. Based solely on money, this is a decision the OP needs to make. Based on bonsai qualities, this tree is lacking in several areas that I've pointed out.

Even though it is in a container, I would double check to make sure it wasn't originally in a burlap sack then placed in the container. If that is the case (at least in my case) what I thought was the soil line, was not; and the tree ended up having an unattractive base. Also check where the first whorl is and make sure you have a plan to deal with that.

In any case, for the price of a drink and dinner you can have a tree that at the very least will provide some great experience and possible some hours of enjoyment.

Back
Top Bottom