Nova bonsai garden

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
:oops: I'll be scared to death moving that tree in those forks without a strap. At least the juniper had 2x4s on the outside to prevent slipping.
Hard to see, but the Crape Myrtle had a temporary brace on the bottom as well. Short distance over level ground. Fortunately, worked out ok.

Last edited:

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Three more trees to go. The greenhouse is moving to our new place in Upperville. Then finish the high tunnel and get the California collection.

With all that property, is the plan to build a house on it eventually?
The dream for me would be to get up in the morning, make a cup of tea and wander down to the workshop to work on my trees.

Last edited:

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
With all that property, is the plan to build a house on it eventually?
The dream for me would be to get up in the morning, make a cup of tea and wander down to the workshop to work on my trees.
Yes - the plan is to build our home here. We’ll live in the cottage in Upperville until that’s done.

S

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I’ve been radio silent for a couple of weeks as things have gotten quite busy. First, I’ve moved from our little cottage in White Post to a bungalow in Upperville. That meant moving my garden and our tropical greenhouse. The garden went to Delaplane (now just a couple of miles away) and the greenhouse moved to our new back yard. Disassembled, moved, and reassembled. Next week we have our first big freeze. So it’s been a scramble preparing to say the least. Today I finished the equipment closet. As the barn is unheated, I needed an insulated space to keep the water filter and pressure tank from freezing. Here’s the space:
276718DD-ADCC-4139-8193-F7D3EC607148.jpeg4FC54822-D328-4A83-BF77-CB85AC055A7C.jpeg
I went with 4” of foam board on the outside wall and 2” on the interior walls. I sealed all seams and contacts with foil tape. The space will be heated by a heat lamp attached to a plug in thermostat. Hopefully it works, but I’ll be monitoring closely.

Scott

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I’ve been radio silent for a couple of weeks as things have gotten quite busy. First, I’ve moved from our little cottage in White Post to a bungalow in Upperville. That meant moving my garden and our tropical greenhouse. The garden went to Delaplane (now just a couple of miles away) and the greenhouse moved to our new back yard. Disassembled, moved, and reassembled. Next week we have our first big freeze. So it’s been a scramble preparing to say the least. Today I finished the equipment closet. As the barn is unheated, I needed an insulated space to keep the water filter and pressure tank from freezing. Here’s the space:
View attachment 462530View attachment 462531
I went with 4” of foam board on the outside wall and 2” on the interior walls. I sealed all seams and contacts with foil tape. The space will be heated by a heat lamp attached to a plug in thermostat. Hopefully it works, but I’ll be monitoring closely.

Scott
Nice job

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
You are living the dream👍
What are your heating plans?

I was about to build a hoophouse for multiple crops of seedling projects,but then decided for a box or something under my home.

Someday soon I will have a type of dormant house to bring fresh grown small projects into dormancy in winter perhaps with red and far red lighting and natural sunlight mixed together and moderated with graded temperature decreases then I can get a real surplus of plants going during winter bringing each crop to a proper dormancy….several small crops or at least a couple crops……and then have winter sales also or many for spring.

Last edited:

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
What are your heating plans?

I was about to build a hoophouse for multiple crops of seedling projects,but then decided for a box or something under my home.

Someday soon I will have a type of dormant house to bring fresh grown small projects into dormancy in winter perhaps with red and far red lighting and natural sunlight mixed together and moderated with graded temperature decreases then I can get a real surplus of plants going during winter bringing each crop to a proper dormancy….several small crops or at least a couple crops……and then have winter sales also or many for spring.
This is really the year of figuring out temperature control in high tunnel. Nothing will go in there until I feel like I have it dialed in - most everything is tucked into the unheated barn and I feel as though thats a pretty stable situation. Here’s my plan right now. Most everything will just go on the ground and get mulched in. The really temperature sensitive stuff will go into a recessed cold frame inside the high tunnel. I’ll keep a backup heater up there in case it gets bitterly cold, but my guess is that the tunnel inside the tunnel will not get too cold. But we’ll see.

I expect that cooling will be an issue also. I have louvered vents that open above the doors and I have 50% shade cloth to reduce the thermal load. If that’s not enough, I can open the endwall doors and the sidewall curtains for additional ventilation. Right now the louvered vents are the only thing that’s automated. When I get power down there I’ll probably add an exhaust fan and automate the curtains.

Scott

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This is really the year of figuring out temperature control in high tunnel. Nothing will go in there until I feel like I have it dialed in - most everything is tucked into the unheated barn and I feel as though thats a pretty stable situation. Here’s my plan right now. Most everything will just go on the ground and get mulched in. The really temperature sensitive stuff will go into a recessed cold frame inside the high tunnel. I’ll keep a backup heater up there in case it gets bitterly cold, but my guess is that the tunnel inside the tunnel will not get too cold. But we’ll see.

I expect that cooling will be an issue also. I have louvered vents that open above the doors and I have 50% shade cloth to reduce the thermal load. If that’s not enough, I can open the endwall doors and the sidewall curtains for additional ventilation. Right now the louvered vents are the only thing that’s automated. When I get power down there I’ll probably add an exhaust fan and automate the curtains.

Scott
Yes I’m definately seeing an exhaust fan in there.

A total dormany break otherwise.Also yes though having the doors open and moving air is always good……may solve the problem completely.

Top Bottom