Not bad for a box store juniper

MSU JBoots

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I bought this on a whim last May. Jumped in with an initial styling and was fairly happy with the results as a beginner.
IMG_5124.jpeg
IMG_5125.jpeg
It’s really grown own this year and probably could use some more thinning and wiring. However I want to get it into some bonsai soil next year so I’m planning on leaving the foliage to help it recover from the repot.
IMG_5120.jpeg
I’m going to have to think about the future. There’s a branch about midway up I would possibly remove to show more of the trunk line. However I’ll wait until after the repot to make any future decisions as that might help me decide on a change in front or planting angle.
IMG_5121.jpeg
It’s got a halfway decent nebari for some nursery material from what I can see so far.

Last edited:

queenofsheba52

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very nice work! I love it when Big Box stores have a treasure or two!

I don't do evergreens, but is the wire going to bite over the winter? (I learned my lesson early on in my bonsai hobby by ruining a nice tree with wire scars. I'm always thinking about the wire now.)

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Very nice work! I love it when Big Box stores have a treasure or two!

I don't do evergreens, but is the wire going to bite over the winter? (I learned my lesson early on in my bonsai hobby by ruining a nice tree with wire scars. I'm always thinking about the wire now.)
Not over the winter it won't. He's good.

MSU JBoots

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I think it is doing well so far with nice movement. How about letting it develop over the winter and see what it tells you in the spring?
That’s the plan. I don’t plan to do any more styling until after it responds well from the repot.

snowman04

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
The cold is coming here in Michigan...:(

Top Bottom