nnplant.com gamble

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
I just ordered a 1 gallon JBP for $20 + reasonable shipping from this company that I can't find any reviews and hardly any info on. I forsee three outcomes: I'll get something similar to the photo example (unlikelyšŸ˜‚), I'll get scammed, or I'll get a 1st year seedling in a one gallon container. I'll update this thread as this gamble unfolds.

3F636B93-5B3F-4098-B5CC-85EAC208D731.png

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Scammed. Pic likely way more than one gallon or $20 tree. Also unless specified tree likely to be bare rooted so have substrate and container ready for emergency repot. Good fortune.
That's part of the funšŸ˜œ I paid with PayPal so I'm not worried about waking up tomorrow with an empty checking account lol.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Well I got a USPS tracking number. Hasn't shipped yet though.

Definitely more oddities for this company/scam site. Their website is nnplant.com, but the company name in the banner on the website says "Bella's Garden" and to add to the confusion the order confirmation has "CaliforniaFloridaplant" listed as their name.

This is fun šŸ¤£

1630428568167.png

1630428378614.png
1630428505846.png

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
It finally shipped! Look at the sellers super legit business emailšŸ˜‚ I'm actually getting excited for the conclusion of this adventure. What will it look like? How much of a scam is it?

I will say that if it's actually similar to the advertised photo that I'll order like 10 of them before letting everyone know lol.

74DBB034-52A8-4B1E-9C66-E719DBFC23B1.jpeg

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Why would this not be legit? I fully expect you to get something like what is on the picture, which seems a 2-4 year old plant.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
The results are in! After dealing with the incompetence of my post office where they almost sent it back to the sender, I finally received the tree.

I was on lunch break from work and didn't have time to pot it, something I'll be immediately doing when I get home. It's currently in the shade on my back patio. As I'm no Pinus expert (giggidy) and new to this hobby, I have no idea if it's actually a JBP. The trunk is about 1/2" near the base, and before it was chopped at the top it probably looked similar to the original website photo. If it's actually a JBP, and survives, I'll be pretty satisfied.

Any advice on keeping it alive from an out of season transplant?

03C3B475-5126-48BB-88D8-A6A14ECBF972.jpegDBCD6123-BFE7-471D-98FD-887C9F96AFC0.jpeg5D03D28C-5880-42A8-9679-CA2959CD84B8.jpegE94E5E4F-620A-4D2C-A344-2AE82EF9A7A4.jpeg6B648485-F010-44C2-B887-CA9B03C3A97F.jpeg

Dzhokar

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Looks decent for 20 bucks.
Also no clue if it's a JBP or not. Sure someone who knows will chime in.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Looks decent for 20 bucks.
Also no clue if it's a JBP or not. Sure someone who knows will chime in.
Who's the resident Pinus expert around here? I've been looking at images of JBPs about that size and age and it does appear similar, but I'm afraid my lack of knowledge and confirmation bias is just telling me that lol.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Any advice on keeping it alive from an out of season transplant?

If you haven't potted it yet, try to do so with as minimal disturbance to the roots as possible.

Try to work the soil through the roots with a chopstick as best you can. If it takes you some time to do this, spray the roots with water from a spray bottle to keep them from drying out as you work.

Afterward, I'd place the tree where it gets a little morning sun (as long as it doesn't get too hot) and afternoon shade. Water carefully while it recovers. Don't let it dry out completely but don't keep it too wet either. It looks otherwise healthy so don't worry about fertilizing this year. Don't do anything else this year either. Just leave it be and keep an eye on it as I said.

Good luck

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Who's the resident Pinus expert around here? I've been looking at images of JBPs about that size and age and it does appear similar, but I'm afraid my lack of knowledge and confirmation bias is just telling me that lol.

It's very hard to pinpoint an age because we don't know where and under what conditions it was grown. Growth rate will differ significantly based on those factors. I will say is probably under 10 years old maybe around 4-6 years but that's a guess at best.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
If you haven't potted it yet, try to do so with as minimal disturbance to the roots as possible.

Try to work the soil through the roots with a chopstick as best you can. If it takes you some time to do this, spray the roots with water from a spray bottle to keep them from drying out as you work.

Afterward, I'd place the tree where it gets a little morning sun (as long as it doesn't get too hot) and afternoon shade. Water carefully while it recovers. Don't let it dry out completely but don't keep it too wet either. It looks otherwise healthy so don't worry about fertilizing this year. Don't do anything else this year either. Just leave it be and keep an eye on it as I said.

Good luck
Pond Basket/Colander or training pot? Heck...plant in ground even? I have a nice morning sun, afternoon/evening shade spot for either option.

Top Bottom