Newly acquired trident maple

Gaitano

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Prepping for spring plans on this trident I just got. The current leader juts out a bit and then heads vertical. Will this flow more as it grows? Or should I chop it off come spring, lower the top chop, and use a lower branch as the new leader. Or wait to see if something sprouts closer to the top chop and use that?

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Dirty Nails

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I think you have too much going on around the top. and the beginnings of reverse taper. If it were mine I would chop it below the black wire on the trunk and start over building taper.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I think you have too much going on around the top. and the beginnings of reverse taper. If it were mine I would chop it below the black wire on the trunk and start over building taper.

I'll 2nd that but will do it come spring and save the top as a cutting.

Gaitano

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
cutting

Would the top cutting root rather easily? I've never tried rooting tridents.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Would the top cutting root rather easily? I've never tried rooting tridents.

Easily is relative but I will always try if possible...at least there is a chance rather than none. If you will chop anyway, you lose nothing by trying. ;)

Gaitano

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
leaf free view

Here are a few more pictures without the leaves to cloud the view. I think there are a few options, including a chop below the existing branches, as was mentioned before. I wanted to see if there are any more opinions now that the view of the trunk is a little more clear. The top is pretty ugly.

Thanks in advance.

IMG_6572.jpgIMG_6574.jpgIMG_6575.jpgIMG_6576.jpg

Top Bottom