Newly acquired material

Haines' Trees

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
So I read somewhere on the forum a while ago that a decent place to look for prebonsai was Forest Farm out of Oregon I believe. Checked out their site and they’ve got a decent selection of various cultivars of trees that can be difficult to find, at least where I am, at a cheap price (JWP priced as low $30, for example.

I started working again recently (stupid coronavirus) so I decided to pick out a couple trees to get a fee for their products. I ordered 2 JWPs and a JBP, each priced at about $30 for a “pipe” size.

Here is what I received
278AA71E-2382-4B12-A26E-9CF8E51521BD.jpeg
2E93C60C-F667-4AD1-A54C-DC720F16D63E.jpeg
68E66C64-D299-4E71-90DA-53084B374E89.jpeg
The first two are the JWPs, and the label on each picture is the cultivar. Not sure what I was expecting for $30 a piece, but it certainly wasn’t something this large! The Goldilocks is sort of the max size I was expecting when I ordered them but I was pleasantly surprised at the size!

That does come with its own issues however. The root mass on the Blue Angel was so dense that there was barely anything other than roots in the little plastic pot it shipped in. That’ll take a few repotting cycles to cut that down. I’ve already got sacrifice branches grown out! I guess that’s a good thing. Will wire in the fall when the new growth Is hardened off. The blue angel has big needles, hoping I can reduce them some with time and proper feeding. Overall very happy with Forest Farms tho! Will have fun with these guys and learn regardless

I'm not against this, there is few better ways to acquire "cultivary" material.

However.....

Truth remains that this is the Longest Path to Bonsai there is. Also nothing wrong with that, we just must know this, so we can envision a realistic plan, which will likely involve the grandkids!

Sorce

Grandkids that don't mind having grafted trees by the way.

I got caught with a more obvious graft than these. I was so concentrated with the nebari and foliage, that I missed the huge obvious graft right in the middle. I'm such a noob. LOL

Junior, meet James, the Japanes black pine. I have a feeling you will be the best of friends, if you don't kill him first. :D

Back
Top Bottom