New Trident Maple

Drew

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ive been on the lookout for a chunky TM for a while now and picked this up a few weeks ago!

F1531E81-D1DF-4ACE-9051-0876747B5A95.jpeg

The leave have now fallen off it so will take another pic so you can see the structure. Some branches and the apex need thickening but a worthwhile project I think

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Now is the time to cut back.

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Well you succeeded.

EDIT: Damn that pot is thin! That tree wouldn't last one hot spring day here. Unless I chained myself to it with a watering can. Bonsai Eejit style.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Its chunky alright, mate! Looking forward to the naked pics

miker

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Lucky you, that trident is fantastic! Make sure to post it at peak fall color (and naked).

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Sweet. Nice find and pick-up. That...is a...huge base! Heavy?

Drew

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Now is the time to cut back.
Hey Adair, yes I have just taken the last of the old leaves off yesterday so will take a few pics of it naked then cut away some of the faults I can see. There is a cut scar at the back that need to be addressed. would you do it now as well or early spring?

Damn that pot is thin! That tree wouldn't last one hot spring day here. Unless I chained myself to it with a watering can. Bonsai Eejit style.
It looks like he has a watering system.
Yes I do have a watering system that works pretty well although I always prefer to water by hand when I'm home.

I plan on taking it out of its current shallow pot and into a bigger growing box for a few years while I grow out and thicken the apex and lower branches. I'll also smooth out some of the rough chops sites and possibly some root graphs in places although they could probably wait as I'll bury it deep and hope for roots to pop.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hey Adair, yes I have just taken the last of the old leaves off yesterday so will take a few pics of it naked then cut away some of the faults I can see. There is a cut scar at the back that need to be addressed. would you do it now as well or early spring?

Yes I do have a watering system that works pretty well although I always prefer to water by hand when I'm home.

I plan on taking it out of its current shallow pot and into a bigger growing box for a few years while I grow out and thicken the apex and lower branches. I'll also smooth out some of the rough chops sites and possibly some root graphs in places although they could probably wait as I'll bury it deep and hope for roots to pop.
Wait until spring to “refresh” old scars.

Read MarkyScott’s thread “Ebihara Maples” to learn about how to fix the nebari. You still might need root grafts.

Be sure to seal any cuts you make.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a

Man, I love these stonker tridents!
Good plan to up-pot and let the lower branches run for a bit. That's a nice pot but more of a show pot then a pot for growing out. I would agree with Adair that having some trident seedlings available when you re-pot would be a good idea. Looking forward to the naked pictures:).

Top Bottom