Nico7

Seed
Reaction score
Hi all! I finally decided to picked up a bonsai last week after a while of hesitation. I chose a bougainvillea because I’ve seen that they can be beginner friendly. When I got it from the garden center it did say hybrid bougainvillea - you can see from the picture that the leaves are green and yellow. I live in northern Virginia, zone 7, so my biggest concern about this is how to care for the bonsai during the winter. I’ll separate the points below so that it’s easier to read and any advice can follow those points.

Soil
The soil that came with the bonsai seems like a pretty standard bonsai soil - well draining, and I got another soil that is similar but bigger granules. It is recommended to keep the soil like this or should I add in some potting mix as well? I know bougainvilleas like to be on the drier side so I was thinking that keeping well draining soil is best. My only concern is that the roots won’t have anything to hold on to, as it is quite loose in the soil as is. I can wiggle the trunk around with ease and lift it up.

Sun
I’ve read that it should take full sun outside when it’s warm, and that after it drops below 50° F to bring it inside. I have it outside taking part sun from about 7-11:30am (I’ve attached pictures) since it was in a greenhouse when I got it. Should I eventually move it so that I take full sun? My other concern is that I’ll be going back to college in late August, where I won’t have a place to put it outdoors. I’m planning on keeping it in my studio which is constantly lit and has some sun but there’s no guarantee it’ll get sun. Is a grow light recommended in this case?

Fertilizing
I read that the Bougain 6-8-10 works well since it’s specifically for bougainvilleas, how often/when should I use it?

Watering
Water when dry and soak completely is what I read. I’ve also read that “for bonsai, it rains two times” - I’ve been watering the bonsai, then again after 15 or so minutes. Is misting beneficial?

Pruning/Trimming
When should/can I prune? There is obviously not much to do now, but as it continues to grow, when should I prune it? And after flowering, do I prune off the flowers/bracts or just let them fall off?

Wiring
Since bougainvillea branches get stiffer as they grow, would it be in my interests to wire now if I wanted to create more separation between the branches?

Style
I like the idea of it having broom style foliage but a more interesting slanting/informal upright trunk. Should I prune with this in mind to achieve that trunk style?

Winter/Indoor Care
As I mentioned before, I’m going back to college in late August. Should I have any concerns when bringing it indoors? Should I leave it here where it can still be outside and get sun until it gets too cold and then take it with me and bring it indoors until it’s warm enough to go back outside?

Thank you in advance for any help!

-Nico

(The soil visible in the pictures is the new soil I got which I added a top layer with, the soil underneath that is much finer)

Attachments

• IMG_7596.jpeg
    IMG_7596.jpeg
    218.3 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_7590.jpeg
    IMG_7590.jpeg
    230.3 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_7591.jpeg
    IMG_7591.jpeg
    178.3 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_7592.jpeg
    IMG_7592.jpeg
    148.9 KB · Views: 20
Hi all! I finally decided to picked up a bonsai last week after a while of hesitation. I chose a bougainvillea because I’ve seen that they can be beginner friendly. When I got it from the garden center it did say hybrid bougainvillea - you can see from the picture that the leaves are green and yellow. I live in northern Virginia, zone 7, so my biggest concern about this is how to care for the bonsai during the winter. I’ll separate the points below so that it’s easier to read and any advice can follow those points.

Soil
The soil that came with the bonsai seems like a pretty standard bonsai soil - well draining, and I got another soil that is similar but bigger granules. It is recommended to keep the soil like this or should I add in some potting mix as well? I know bougainvilleas like to be on the drier side so I was thinking that keeping well draining soil is best. My only concern is that the roots won’t have anything to hold on to, as it is quite loose in the soil as is. I can wiggle the trunk around with ease and lift it up.

Sun
I’ve read that it should take full sun outside when it’s warm, and that after it drops below 50° F to bring it inside. I have it outside taking part sun from about 7-11:30am (I’ve attached pictures) since it was in a greenhouse when I got it. Should I eventually move it so that I take full sun? My other concern is that I’ll be going back to college in late August, where I won’t have a place to put it outdoors. I’m planning on keeping it in my studio which is constantly lit and has some sun but there’s no guarantee it’ll get sun. Is a grow light recommended in this case?

Fertilizing
I read that the Bougain 6-8-10 works well since it’s specifically for bougainvilleas, how often/when should I use it?

Watering
Water when dry and soak completely is what I read. I’ve also read that “for bonsai, it rains two times” - I’ve been watering the bonsai, then again after 15 or so minutes. Is misting beneficial?

Pruning/Trimming
When should/can I prune? There is obviously not much to do now, but as it continues to grow, when should I prune it? And after flowering, do I prune off the flowers/bracts or just let them fall off?

Wiring
Since bougainvillea branches get stiffer as they grow, would it be in my interests to wire now if I wanted to create more separation between the branches?

Style
I like the idea of it having broom style foliage but a more interesting slanting/informal upright trunk. Should I prune with this in mind to achieve that trunk style?

Winter/Indoor Care
As I mentioned before, I’m going back to college in late August. Should I have any concerns when bringing it indoors? Should I leave it here where it can still be outside and get sun until it gets too cold and then take it with me and bring it indoors until it’s warm enough to go back outside?

Thank you in advance for any help!

-Nico

(The soil visible in the pictures is the new soil I got which I added a top layer with, the soil underneath that is much finer)
Welcome to the Nut HouseTM Nico! :) The current soil you have it in is fine, particle size is a little big in my opinion, but it's working & nothing to worry about. Normally the tree should be wired into the pot so you can't just lift it out, or if it falls down it won't come out of the pot. You can fix that when it needs to be repotted.

Correct full sun, as much as you can give it. When I bring mine in the winter I have it under grow lights. You can pick up a $20 dollar or so full spectrum grow light on Amazon.

Bougain is a good fert, I use it ever six to eight weeks, except in winter. You can also use a liquid fertilizer like MircAcid (Miracle Grow makes it) once a week during spring and summer.

Watering is the most difficult part to learn with these, they don't like wet roots. Stick a toothpick or chop stick, or any wooden stick that works for you in the soil and check the stick for moisture before you water. If the stick is dry you can water.

Pruning branches can be done in late winter or early spring. After flowering you can Prune shoots, leaving two leaves on each.

Wire branches in the spring or summer. The branches are brittle so you have to be careful as they break easily.

These Nuts know bougies better than I, let me see if I can call them, and they can point out anything I said that might be wrong. They're probably vacationing on a private yacht. ;) @milehigh_7 @Carol 83

I've only had Bougainvillea (five of them) for two years so I'm still learning. One of them is similar to yours.
1719879253353.png

Good Luck.

I can wiggle the trunk around with ease and lift it up.
Don't do that.
Is a grow light recommended in this case?
Yes.
I’ve been watering the bonsai, then again after 15 or so minutes. Is misting beneficial?
Not necessary to water bougies twice and no on the misting.
When should/can I prune?
When they are growing vigorously but they bloom on new growth. If you want flowers, let them grow some.
Should I leave it here where it can still be outside and get sun until it gets too cold and then take it with me and bring it indoors until it’s warm enough to go back outside?
I would leave outside as long as it is safe to do so, 40's won't kill them.
They're probably vacationing on a private yacht.
That's next week.

Don't do that.

Yes.

Not necessary to water bougies twice and no on the misting.

When they are growing vigorously but they bloom on new growth. If you want flowers, let them grow some.

I would leave outside as long as it is safe to do so, 40's won't kill them.

That's next week.
Welcome to the Nut HouseTM Nico! :) The current soil you have it in is fine, particle size is a little big in my opinion, but it's working & nothing to worry about. Normally the tree should be wired into the pot so you can't just lift it out, or if it falls down it won't come out of the pot. You can fix that when it needs to be repotted.

Correct full sun, as much as you can give it. When I bring mine in the winter I have it under grow lights. You can pick up a $20 dollar or so full spectrum grow light on Amazon.

Bougain is a good fert, I use it ever six to eight weeks, except in winter. You can also use a liquid fertilizer like MircAcid (Miracle Grow makes it) once a week during spring and summer.

Watering is the most difficult part to learn with these, they don't like wet roots. Stick a toothpick or chop stick, or any wooden stick that works for you in the soil and check the stick for moisture before you water. If the stick is dry you can water.

Pruning branches can be done in late winter or early spring. After flowering you can Prune shoots, leaving two leaves on each.

Wire branches in the spring or summer. The branches are brittle so you have to be careful as they break easily.

These Nuts know bougies better than I, let me see if I can call them, and they can point out anything I said that might be wrong. They're probably vacationing on a private yacht. ;) @milehigh_7 @Carol 83

I've only had Bougainvillea (five of them) for two years so I'm still learning. One of them is similar to yours.
View attachment 555312

Good Luck.
Thank you both for your advice! It helped a lot with some of the questions I had

Pretty much what Carol and MTM said... I would add the very best time to repot is summer when growing strong. Defoliate and have at it. Then shade for a week or so till new growth pops. You can't get too hot for them but will get die back at 30F. At about 35-40 most varieties will go deciduous and you can move them into your garage or somewhere that won't freeze hard OR as has been said, treat them like the tropical they are and bring them in. Holler if you need more help! Oh yeah, more sun (slightly) less water = more flowers and less veg. More shade and (slightly) more water = veg growth and less flowers.

Back
Top Bottom