New to Bonsai and I have a few questions I need clarified.

JoeH

Omono
Reaction score
The Florida Citrus Arboretum, Winter Haven,Florida
USDA Zone
9B
Plant City Bonsai in Clermont specializes in prebonsai. Where in Ga do you live?

Edit: sorry, Allen, I know you live in New York. My reply was meant for @Jered.

Actually, Brussels is in Mississippi. In Olive Branch. But it’s real close to Memphis, which is in Tennessee. I swear it’s the most humid place on earth! Lol!!!
come to FLA if you want humid.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Memphis in July is pretty humid. Then, at Brussels, they have these HUGE greenhouses. Which are watered with a misting system. Whether they need it or not! The greenhouses are watered in zones. You can be in one part, and another is watering. When it stops, lookout! Your section may be next!

Timbo

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Not sure how it turns into bashing Nigel, But for people up north he works on a lot of trees I have up here and he's not a jerk about it. I dunno if he loses trees or not, he puts effort into the landscape on Bonsai's, not many people do that. Sometimes he goes off on nature stuff but I dunno why he's so bad.
Most of these people are in the south, that stuff doesn't help me.
I guess you guys don't watch much if you say he has mostly tropical, it's bad for people in cold climates to have lots of tropical trees? I'm not really wanting to defend a guy that I don't know personally but I think it's a bit unfair.
I guess we can't all be guru's. :rolleyes:

I have a wintergreen 'Blue Prince' holly, but i dunno if the cuttings I pruned will take or not...so i'm not going to give much advice. I read they were hard to root, but trying anyways. I use mostly DE to root my stuff this year and it seems to get really good roots in it.

Last edited:

Rambles

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Boxwood
Pros: Cheap, readily available, compact habit and small foliage, tolerant of heat, over/under water, and bad beginner decisions.
cons: stiff/brittle and prone to breaking if mishandled, Slow growing. You can wire new growth, but otherwise it is clip-and-grow which limits your options for learning a very important part of bonsai.

As others have said, cuttings and layering are intermediate and above horticulture topics and not a good place to start.

I know it may sound like a tired trope, but I would look at what grows well in your area, what strikes your eye, then intensively study the details of growing and styling that type of tree.

Focus on the horticulture with an eye for eventual styling (root care, tree health, maintaining branches for optional use later, that sort of thing), visit and study the full size trees that inspire you, and try to go to a bonsai show or two and make a study of how others are approaching the art.

Timbo

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
That's the problem with Boxwoods for me....they are SOOO Slooow growing.

Top Bottom