New Member from Charleston, SC, USA

LuckyDutch

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Hi All, I am a new member to this forum and very much a beginner. Purchased a few random "trees" to play around with a few months ago (fall/winter) and have done a lot of reading, Youtube watching etc. The local nurseries in the area do not seem to carry a lot of interesting material for bonsai as far as I can tell (I picked up a few small Juniper Parsoni's but that is about it). I am also interested to learn how folks deal with local wildlife (in particular deer and squirrels) :)

TrevorLarsen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Welcome to the site! I have heard of many people using non-organic soil and especially non-organic fertilizer to avoid animals being attracted to their bonsai.

I personally have started buying starter material online from bonsai specific nurseries. I think it’s worth it to buy stuff that is already grown with bonsai in mind. My favorite place is https://www.bonsaify.com/

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi All, I am a new member to this forum and very much a beginner. Purchased a few random "trees" to play around with a few months ago (fall/winter) and have done a lot of reading, Youtube watching etc. The local nurseries in the area do not seem to carry a lot of interesting material for bonsai as far as I can tell (I picked up a few small Juniper Parsoni's but that is about it). I am also interested to learn how folks deal with local wildlife (in particular deer and squirrels) :)
Welcome! There are some other S.C. bonsaists here. Hope they'll chime in on more specifics about trees (FWIW, you're in Bald Cypress country which is becoming a more and more common bonsai subject).

Anyway, the wildlife thing. Squirrels are a constant menace for bonsai. They will dig in soil and upend trees on benches. Using sharp soil ingredients, like crushed granite and pumice can help keep them from digging, since it cuts their paws. Another deterrent is keeping LARGER trees. More soil, more mass, less chance they can break things. The smaller the tree, the more vulnerable it is to a lot of things, wind, drying out and assault by rodents (and birds, who also will dig around in the soil).

Larger critters like deer and rabbits can be kept at a distance with fencing and keeping trees off the ground (in the case of rabbits) and keeping trees near the house. Fencing, however, can be hit and miss with determined hungry deer.

johng

Omono
Reaction score
Hey Friend! I am from just south of Columbia and have been doing bonsai for 35 years. I would welcome a trip to my garden if you are ever up my way. If you are a facebook user there are a couple SC based bonsai groups. Bonsai growers of South Carolina (I may not have the name exactly right but it is close) is the one most local to your area. There is also an Upstate bonsai group as well. Kyle Purvis is a person I would recommend trying to touch base with in your area. It is always challenging to find good material at local plant nurseries...sometimes you score but most often it is a bust. Oh...google Low Country Bonsai...Brandon seems like a pretty good guy and has purchased material from me in the past. He is somewhere in the Charleston/Mount Pleasant area...

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Was hoping @johng would chime in. He's the go-to man in S.C. and is being modest. If he's invited you to see his bonsai, take him up on it!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Dirty Myrtle reporting in! You're welcome to tour my garden as well, but it would be a very short and disappointing tour and probably make you question why you're doing this hobby in the first place. If you hang around for 20 years or so, it should be more inspiring. @johng I'm glad to hear good reviews on Low Country Bonsai, I haven't had a chance to make it down there yet and there's nothing up this way that I've found other than landscaping nurseries.

LuckyDutch

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Thanks for the replies!! I'll take all suggestions into consideration :). I am indeed on the "Bonsai Growers of SC" Facebook group and several others (e.g. Juniper Bonsai}. I have been working a little on my "trees" the last few days and my neighbors are probably thinking that I am "not ok"..... staring at a plant on a table for minutes at a time and once in a while snipping of a needle (I guess that is what it must look like from a distance)..... oh well, I think they are a little weird as well 😃

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
The Bonsai Growers of SC page recently mentioned getting a group together down in the 843. It doesn't work for my schedule, but check it out. You're welcome to join us at the Upstate Bonsai Study group any fourth Saturday @ Green Thumb Bonsai in Greenville.

Also, welcome from Upstate SC.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
We moved to Myrtle near Murrells inlet over the summer, so I am still getting the local scene wired, and eager to hear others advice.
JBP do fine here and so do elms. The jury is still out on my beloved hemlock (Tsuga c.). Maples should be fine as well as Crape Myrtle, and most juniper.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
If you are just starting out, look for some elm volunteers around. I’ve pulled some out of parking ties and similar environments.. I call them “yankadori.”

They are fun and pretty forgiving. Help you learn thinks like watering and repotting, and it is not heartbreaking to lose some.IMG_7338.jpeg
IMG_7181.jpeg

LuckyDutch

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Hey Friend! I am from just south of Columbia and have been doing bonsai for 35 years. I would welcome a trip to my garden if you are ever up my way. If you are a facebook user there are a couple SC based bonsai groups. Bonsai growers of South Carolina (I may not have the name exactly right but it is close) is the one most local to your area. There is also an Upstate bonsai group as well. Kyle Purvis is a person I would recommend trying to touch base with in your area. It is always challenging to find good material at local plant nurseries...sometimes you score but most often it is a bust. Oh...google Low Country Bonsai...Brandon seems like a pretty good guy and has purchased material from me in the past. He is somewhere in the Charleston/Mount Pleasant area...
Hi John, in a few weeks I have to drive from Charleston to Atlanta to pick up my passport (Dutch permanent resident living in the Charleston area for 30 years already). Perhaps we can arrange something and visit your garden on my way going back

LuckyDutch

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
The Bonsai Growers of SC page recently mentioned getting a group together down in the 843. It doesn't work for my schedule, but check it out. You're welcome to join us at the Upstate Bonsai Study group any fourth Saturday @ Green Thumb Bonsai in Greenville.

Also, welcome from Upstate SC.
Thanks for the invite, but it is "a bit of a drive" ...... but a nice area for sure!! I certainly hope we can get something going here in the 843 bonsai zone (not to confuse with Nigel Saunders' Bonsai Zone) :)

Japonicus

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I have to drive from Charleston to Atlanta
Welcome aboard
Dont miss a visit to https://plantcitybonsai.com/ in Clermont while in the Atlanta neighborhood.
Their address is at the bottom of page in that link.
If you’re having difficulty finding nursery stock juniper that’s interesting, start with a 1 gallon pot
and usually you’ll find something worth putting wire on to make it interesting.

Here you can get a good basics on wiring properly, sizing, and material choice.
Early beginner wirings tend to do damage, look sloppy and do little good.
I think you have to add the several lessons to your cart for free to view them.
Not sure if that’s changed or not, but they are free.
Most all my collection is from nursery stock.

Top Bottom