New Japanese Black Pine

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
forcing it into some odd windswept shape

Just to be clear, my quick and dirty virt was only intended to show how the trunk could be bent - not how the foliage would be placed. It is literally just rotated about 110deg. The foliage would then be trained into an informal upright style.

I do like your idea, though. :)

PiñonJ

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I don't need any more thickness, so I could decandle the apex.
If you decandle, do the whole tree (including unopened buds) in early June, along with needle plucking, unless there’s a branch that you want longer/thicker. If you can give it winter protection, you can shoot select in the fall, otherwise next spring. View #3 has the best base and nice movement.

Lazylightningny

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
+1 on the third photo for the front. I’d try to use as much of the trunk as you can, not chopping it to the first branch or forcing it into some odd windswept shape.

There is a very specific shape used in Japanese gardens, usually at the entrance, and it’s a welcoming shape and symbolizes protection. I cannot find where I read it or what it’s called, but it’s somewhat like the attached (although the examples are white pines). It’s what came to my mind when I saw your tree.

Fun to get a new piece of stock, look forward to seeing it develop over time.
View attachment 376912
This is a little closer to what I'd like to see, Brian. I will probably repot next spring, using somewhere in #3 as my front, but maybe tilted a little more to the left to try and cover up some of the roots on the left. I'm not sure what that would uncover on the right side though.

Do you have trouble uncrossing roots, seeing as how pine branches are pretty supple? Or is it better to remove them over time?

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This is a little closer to what I'd like to see, Brian. I will probably repot next spring, using somewhere in #3 as my front, but maybe tilted a little more to the left to try and cover up some of the roots on the left. I'm not sure what that would uncover on the right side though.

Do you have trouble uncrossing roots, seeing as how pine branches are pretty supple? Or is it better to remove them over time?
Cut them off over time? Heck no! Just cut them off! Don’t bother trying to uncross them, they’ll still be ugly and unnatural. Just remove them.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
That's scarier than removing branches!
Why? When you remove branches, you weaken the tree. You are removing it’s ability to “make food” because you are reducing it’s photosynthesis factories.

When you remove roots, you are weakening the tree by removing its water and nutrient absorption abilities. Pretty much the same thing.

Top Bottom