New Hobbyist in Northwest Italy

chicago1980

Omono
Reaction score
Hello. I am a complete beginner in this hoppy. Ihave been interested in growing bonsai for many years, but I now have the time to seriously devote myself to this endeavor. I was wondering if there are any clubs in this area. I live an hour southwest of Torino (Turn) and have plenty of time to attend meetings. Alternatively, does anyone know of any clubs anywhere that meet virtually?

Right now, I have started with my first tree, a Ficus retusa. For now, I am trying to stick with indoor specimens, though that will change as the weather improves. Does anyone have a suggestion for my second bonsai? The room it will be grown in is warm (about 75 F or 24 C). It has a large westwardly facing window which affords good direct sunlight all afternoon. I also have a 1000 lumen grow light running 12 hours a day. Because of the heat, the roon has low humidity so I have to water frequently. I'll try to answer any questions you may have. Thanks for your help! Sam
Mauro has a bonsai school location in Italy. You should contact him via his website, Facebook, or IG

cohenkin

Sapling
Reaction score
Mauro has a bonsai school location in Italy. You should contact him via his website, Facebook, or IG
Thanks again. I will reach out to him soon. Best, Sam
Do realize this is one of the best-known bonsai artists in Europe. Not many do better work on (big) pines
I promise I will give him all due deference. Best, Sam

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
It's a lot of fun to watch him work.. (on Video Demonstrations) ... He seems to enjoy teaching/instructing.
Yes! I was with him today, and will be again tomorrow, in Rome. He runs weekend workshops in different locations in Italy (and of course around the globe) on a regular basis. Very fun and very informative.

hampton

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Welcome,

I not all that familiar with clubs in Italy, but there are some incredible bonsai artists and sellers there. Luigi Crespi has been a notable bonsaiist there for some time

Andrea Meriggioli in Trieste owns Hiryu-en bonsai nursery.

Bonsai clubs
I’m ready to immerse myself in this. I like the art, the nature, and the people I’ve encountered here so far.
As a fellow newcomer I couldn’t agree with this sentiment more. Hope your well

cohenkin

Sapling
Reaction score
Yes! I was with him today, and will be again tomorrow, in Rome. He runs weekend workshops in different locations in Italy (and of course around the globe) on a regular basis. Very fun and very informative.
I'm going to try and attend his ten dat program at his home town in August. It's about a five hour drive from here
Then a belated welcome from me to you!

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Zelkovas are a fundamental Bonsai Species

The problem is that imports of elms are controlled, and in the past a lot of elms from either China or Asia were labelled "Zelkova" to bypass the quarantine measures. I'm pretty sure a lot of Ulmus parvifolia are still mislabelled "Zelkova"...

cohenkin

Sapling
Reaction score
The problem is that imports of elms are controlled, and in the past a lot of elms from either China or Asia were labelled "Zelkova" to bypass the quarantine measures. I'm pretty sure a lot of Ulmus parvifolia are still mislabelled "Zelkova"...
Thank you for that good information, Alain! Should I feel more confident in the labeling if I make a purchase from Crespi Bonsai which I believe is knowledgable and reputable or are they all a gamble? Best, Sam

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank you for that good information, Alain! Should I feel more confident in the labeling if I make a purchase from Crespi Bonsai which I believe is knowledgable and reputable or are they all a gamble? Best, Sam
Nope. Many traders buy these and resell them as Zelkova without blinking an eye.

The image is not great, but the leaves do have a high zelkova feel to it on this one, same as the trunk.

1644150527153.png

Buut.. For me, zelkova typically have a bit of a zigzag movement, changing direction at each node, which I do not see here.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Here, Chinese elm (Ulmus parvifolia) definitely far superior to Zelkova (Zelkova serrata) for bonsai. I have a number of Chinese elm varieties but only 1 zelkova which I struggle to train and constantly wonder about passing on.
Just because a salse person has a product does not make it the best purchase.

cohenkin

Sapling
Reaction score
Nope. Many traders buy these and resell them as Zelkova without blinking an eye.

The image is not great, but the leaves do have a high zelkova feel to it on this one, same as the trunk.

View attachment 419226

Buut.. For me, zelkova typically have a bit of a zigzag movement, changing direction at each node, which I do not see here.
Well, I am not surprised that there are shenanigans going on even in the beautiful world of bonsai, but I am disappointed that there seems to be nowhere safe to turn in terms of growers. You would think a place like Crespi would be reliable, but alas, the real world intrudes on my dreams. Thank you for the reality check. The next question, obviously, is how does a beginner reliably get what he is trying to purchase How do I protect myself from the dishonesty? And, of course, what should be my second tree and where should I get it? Thanks for the continuing help! Best, Sam

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
shenanigans going on even in the beautiful world of bonsai, but I am disappointed that there seems to be nowhere safe to turn in terms of growers. You would think a place like Crespi would be reliable, but alas, the real world intrudes on my dreams.
When it comes to ulmus and zelkova, I think you should not trust any seller on their label and inspect the tree to be sure.
In general, most traders sell what they say they sell. It is really only ulmus/zelkova where I frequently see mislabelling. Not sure why.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Won't bark on Zelkova be a give-away. Or do certain Ulmus species bark up in the same way?

I know the bark, even on my young Zelkova differs from Ulmus Pumila and Americana. (And Cedar Elm)

But have never worked with Parvifolia.

Top Bottom