New bonsai garden, including koi pond!

I haven’t posted about this in a while...

Everything had been going smoothly... until the last day of the year. I found that a heron had found the pond, and took three fish.

Ugh.

And repeatedly chasing him off was ineffective. As were some wind-powered kinetic sculptures (windmill whirly thingys). So, to be able to leave the house, I covered the pond with a blue tarp. (Sorry, no picture.)

Until I got my “Heron Patriot Missile Defense System”! Aka “Orbit Yard Enforcer”. A motion sensing sprinkler. Actually, I got two of them. Each has a view range of 120 degrees, and I’ve got them set pretty much back to back (or at least side-by-side). So the whole are where the fish are is defended. I can attach additional sprayers so that multiple sprayers go off if motion is detected. Pretty much creates chaos over the pond. And, I can connect the two together so if one detects motion, they both spray.

It doesn’t hurt anything, just startles the birds to make them go away.

BC8573C4-7F0F-492D-A841-5D84C219F0FC.jpeg

Once I finish tinkering with range, sprinkler head placement, etc, I’ll bury the hoses and plant something behind the detectors to hide them a bit.

“Heron Patriot Missile Defense System”! Aka “Orbit Yard Enforcer”. A motion sensing sprinkler. Actual
That sounds awesome!
Great Blue Heron in MD are notoriously snatching fish from landscape ponds....to the point that I've seen people put netting and fencing over and around the pond.....kinda ruins the vibe.

I haven’t posted about this in a while...

Everything had been going smoothly... until the last day of the year. I found that a heron had found the pond, and took three fish.

Ugh.

And repeatedly chasing him off was ineffective. As were some wind-powered kinetic sculptures (windmill whirly thingys). So, to be able to leave the house, I covered the pond with a blue tarp. (Sorry, no picture.)

Until I got my “Heron Patriot Missile Defense System”! Aka “Orbit Yard Enforcer”. A motion sensing sprinkler. Actually, I got two of them. Each has a view range of 120 degrees, and I’ve got them set pretty much back to back (or at least side-by-side). So the whole are where the fish are is defended. I can attach additional sprayers so that multiple sprayers go off if motion is detected. Pretty much creates chaos over the pond. And, I can connect the two together so if one detects motion, they both spray.

It doesn’t hurt anything, just startles the birds to make them go away.

View attachment 277332

Once I finish tinkering with range, sprinkler head placement, etc, I’ll bury the hoses and plant something behind the detectors to hide them a bit.
Hi Adair , I dealt with the same issue by installing a trip wire around the perimeter! Herons land on the ground and walk into the pond. The trip wire startles them and they take flight! The wire was placed at a approximately 18 inch height and roughly the same back from the perimeter. Not too obtrusive and it was effective!
Just another approach in case you need extra lines of defence!

Hi Adair , I dealt with the same issue by installing a trip wire around the perimeter! Herons land on the ground and walk into the pond. The trip wire startles them and they take flight! The wire was placed at a approximately 18 inch height and roughly the same back from the perimeter. Not too obtrusive and it was effective!
Just another approach in case you need extra lines of defence!
Yeah, I’ve heard to use 30 to 50 lb test! Or even use electric fence.

Just .. switch it of the family is visiting?
I have it set up so that if you’re on the patio, you’re safe. And, if you walk up from the house to the bonsai trees, you’re safe. If you get too close to the pond, right at the edge, it might go off.

The detectors are at the edge of the patio, and it’s pretty easy and convenient to turn them off. Just have to remember to turn them back on!

I just spent about an hour going through this whole thread with envy. Congrats on the setup! I'm imagining that the paver patio has become the favorite spot.

I just spent about an hour going through this whole thread with envy. Congrats on the setup! I'm imagining that the paver patio has become the favorite spot.
Oh, yeah!

I found a nice cut log to use as a mini side table, I sometimes put a bonsai on it. I got one of those propane patio heaters, it works well, but uses gas up quickly. But, I like to sit out by the pond with a glass a wine, watch the fish and gaze at the bonsai!

Yeah, I’ve heard to use 30 to 50 lb test! Or even use electric fence.
I knew of a lake which put up stakes and used string to keep geese from using the beach area. They couldn't cross the string. But unsure if that would work for heron. One above feels it can. But unsightly. I hope the water spray works. Living rural...friends had issues. One netted their water pond. Not pretty.

Oh, I’ve installed some Norway Spruce trees along the pond. Went just as they got them in to sell as Christmas trees that could be planted. I never brought them in the house, just planted them. I’ve also put in a JWP to cascade down over the side into the pond. And 4 Japanese maples.

And I’ve put in some pitcher plants into the pond and bog.

There’s a place nearby that has an old huge parking lot. Tons and tons of moss. The good kind that’s great for bonsai displays! Well, I have been going over there and collecting palm sized chunks, and sticking them in books and crannies of the rocks.

One of my neighbors moved, and left behind some driftwood. The new neighbor didn’t want it, so...

Next, I decided I need more bench space! I’m bringing home some trees I’ve been working on at Boon’s for several years, and they’ll make my current benches too crowded!

Still to come: I’ve purchased a beautiful rough hewn stone Japanese Lantern, a tall one, about 4 feet. It’s heavy. Also, some more large trees.

And, I still need to install the watering system!

Oh, yeah!

I found a nice cut log to use as a mini side table, I sometimes put a bonsai on it. I got one of those propane patio heaters, it works well, but uses gas up quickly. But, I like to sit out by the pond with a glass a wine, watch the fish and gaze at the bonsai!
Propane heater?! What is it down in Georgia? 70? I'm sure any long sleeved shirt works.😛

Propane heater?! What is it down in Georgia? 70? I'm sure any long sleeved shirt works.😛
It’s 32 degrees right now.

I’m not saying we get the insane cold that happens in the Northeast.

Adair, I volunteer my services as an Exterminator for those Koi eating Herons, I use a Scoped 22LR Rifle and would do head shots so the Heron's will never know what hit them, painless for the Heron's.....Disposal would be your job.
Travel Gas, Lodging & Eats would be on you...

Adair, I volunteer my services as an Exterminator for those Koi eating Herons, I use a Scoped 22LR Rifle and would do head shots so the Heron's will never know what hit them, painless for the Heron's.....Disposal would be your job.
Travel Gas, Lodging & Eats would be on you...
Well, I’m a pretty good Marksman with a .22 myself! The thing is, it’s illegal. I’m not saying it’s not done, but I’d rather not find myself in the inside of a prison!

Good to hear from you Adair, stay with the local laws & no prison time, enjoy that beautiful Koi Pond and New Bonsai Area. I've switched my Bonsai efforts to Bonsai Terrarium Landscapes, very challenging....see my Avatar....a WIP...

Good to hear from you Adair, stay with the local laws & no prison time, enjoy that beautiful Koi Pond and New Bonsai Area. I've switched my Bonsai efforts to Bonsai Terrarium Landscapes, very challenging....see my Avatar....a WIP...
Not just local laws, these birds are protected by Federal laws! And, while the area is rural, I just happen to be within the City limits, too.

Yes, I would think a Bonsai Terrarium would be very challenging. Good luck with that!

I have received many suggestions on deterring herons. Time will tell if my sprinkler system will work. Hmm... I’m thinking that someone will invent an automated drone that will drive them away. Something like how an iRobot will learn your house plan, the drone could learn the landscape and patrol it. Anyone got Elon Musk’s phone number?

That would be funny!

If you ain't got it, no one does!

Adair would start a bonsai mentoring program, and within 5 years, Georgia would have a curious number of facially tattooed parolees with a respectable knowledge of JBP.

SO FAR, there has been very little violence when someone suggests clip and grow....but...

That would be funny!

If you ain't got it, no one does!
No, it would NOT be funny! Geez!!!

Off topic: while I think it’s deplorable about those celebrities and other Uber rich who paid mega-bucks to get their kids into particular colleges under false pretenses, I think prison time is not warranted. Maybe for the “middle men” who were the ones doing the actual bribing...

I don’t know any of the details, but, I’m sure these parents had no idea that they’d be guilty of Federal Money Laundering!

I mean, some Uber rich buy their kids way into colleges by making huge donations into the “Endowment Fund(s)”. This has been going on for years!

Anyway... I think that rather than prison, I think a better solution is these people should be forced to make a for real donation to the college’s Endowment fund to pay for other students who may not be able to afford to go there.

Ok, rant over, now back to our regular nonsense!

Back
Top Bottom