Neither may work...but I have an addiction

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
image.jpg image.jpg I have a serious addiction. Pots! I seen one pot that I loved. Honestly I'm thinking health wise if tree...it maybe to small. But the depth is right...the other...depth is shallower but the rest works. Ugh...dilemma...I could buy both. But the price of both could easily buy a tree. But I tell myself...get this. I'm trying to keep my collection down. So...to buy the pots make sense. :oops: I am so addicted to pots that catch my fancy. I do see me possibly buying both. I'm a sorry sap for pots.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
But the price of both could easily buy a tree
I would but the tree.
But then I'm all about the trees.
I don't even hardly think about pots.
If I had to choose I would pick the top one.
But only if I had a tree that needed such a pot.
Which I don't even know what kind would go with that.
I like the more austere plain simple pots.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I would but the tree.
But then I'm all about the trees.
I don't even hardly think about pots.
If I had to choose I would pick the top one.
But only if I had a tree that needed such a pot.
Which I don't even know what kind would go with that.
I like the more austere plain simple pots.
I actually feel you are right about the pots. I just got done sending the seller a PM before coming and reading your post. If the round is to small...then, I'm going with the oval. I think long run I may find a tree for it at some point. More so than for the round. But...if the round works...waiting on New England bonsai to tell me what they think...really feel it maybe to small...I am passing. Because I see a Neagari or something of such uniqueness for the round. And...my Neagari doesn't need a pot that wide. I also...am smitten with the Sonny Boggs pot I have for it already. I feel a maple in fall color would look nice with either pot. The feet on that oval...has me on a high. Lol the oval will come to my house I believe. Thanks Mike...for your input. I just feel the round would be harder to find a pairing. Though stunning it is...if my tree coming don't fit. I'm letting it pass. To keep some funds in my bonsai kitty...for a tree. Remember Scott Lee is going to see if he any quirky trees once he thaws out...his trees which are in winter storage.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't usually like ones like the top one..

But I like it...

Something like @Adair M olive in there would suit my fancy!
IMG_0107.JPG

Maybe not...

Sorce

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I may talk to Scott...maybe he may think a trunk with more texture would go better in it. I just want a tree with a URO. Lol it's my next desired tree. Or...one with much quirkiness.

BethF

Mame
Reaction score
Two beautiful choices. You're smart to carefully consider your selection rather than be controlled by endorphins!

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Two pots with limited "pairing" options. Coloring of both most likely un-suitable for conifers. Large oval would need a trunk of considerable girth. Smaller pot has a shape that could make re-pot/removal awkward. To quote @sorce use your "FVG's" what will your collection contain in "so-many years"? Thick trunks/material that can be planted shallow?

First rule of "Pot Club"...it's your yard, use it if you got it/plant will fit.
Second rule....your yard....
Third? Juried/public display...prepare for "shredded presentation":confused::D:D:D:D:D:D

Top one would accept the JM creation your awaiting from NEBG. In a "this will probably live in this" sort of way....;):):)

Is it still there? I "need" to get down there. Tough sell most times with MomMac/Hookster!!!o_O:confused::D:D:D It's snowing here, :(, but maybe they would like the trip if I said I needed to drop offa "care-package"?;):D:D:D:D:D

Edit: yup...snowing...

DSC01737.JPG

Last edited:

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Two pots with limited "pairing" options. Coloring of both most likely un-suitable for conifers. Large oval would need a trunk of considerable girth. Smaller pot has a shape that could make re-pot/removal awkward. To quote @sorce use your "FVG's" what will your collection contain in "so-many years"? Thick trunks/material that can be planted shallow?

First rule of "Pot Club"...it's your yard, use it if you got it/plant will fit.
Second rule....your yard....
Third? Juried/public display...prepare for "shredded presentation":confused::D:D:D:D:D:D

Top one would accept the JM creation your awaiting from NEBG. In a "this will probably live in this" sort of way....;):):)

Is it still there? I "need" to get down there. Tough sell most times with MomMac/Hookster!!!o_O:confused::D:D:D It's snowing here, :(, but maybe they would like the trip if I said I needed to drop offa "care-package"?;):D:D:D:D:D

You should see all the pots that I have...with NO INTENTIONS of planting. Maybe if I get an inkling for accent planting lets just say I'm set. Lol

The tree is still in the greenhouse...to ship next week. Terri called this past week to say the weather schedule looks good for this coming week. As for the top pot...it would most likely be awhile before that tree could fit into this. But...if I reduse those roots...it may work nicer in it as a grove...but...I think the pot would look just as pretty on the shelf in my greenhouse to look at when I tinker in there. A pot doesn't need a tree if I really love it.

Crazy your getting snow...Capri's and a short sleeved top and doing yard work. Burlap protection down...and husband is preparing to start the waterfall back up. Though...this is Ohio we still could see snow. But, nothing so severe by now in my mind. I contemplated the round one if I left the exposed roots. Terri was going to take a look at the tree over the weekend and give me her opinion. Fall colors would look stunning in that color pot. But honestly...I think it's to small.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's Teddi ;) Tree would fit in that pot, no problem. You will have a hard time/will never reduce those exposed roots, in my opinion. Not unless your ready to devote SERIOUS time to the project. I would think nearly all your feeder roots are deep down. Reducing all the exposed roots between what you "want" to display and actual "working roots" is a nigh impossible.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
It's Teddi ;) Tree would fit in that pot, no problem. You will have a hard time/will never reduce those exposed roots, in my opinion. Not unless your ready to devote SERIOUS time to the project. I would think nearly all your feeder roots are deep down. Reducing all the exposed roots between what you "want" to display and actual "working roots" is a nigh impossible.

That's right...thanks! It's in my email. I had the first and last letter right. Lol hope I didn't call her by the wrong name in correspondence.

Yeah, you might be right. I seen one who was showing a repot of a root over rock. And the feeder roots were way low in the pot. So I'm hoping I have a cool tree when the roots are cleaned up. Stumbled upon that a few days ago. But didn't give much thought on it until reading your post. It's quirky for sure...and that was what I was after. Most suggest to remove the roots. Which I can see the tree within. But...if those roots clean up it could be a very unique one of a kind piece that makes one pause...in hopefully a good way. At the end of the day...that's what I'm shooting for.

Plus...on hearing the gentleman was in his 90's this came from...some elderly Japan man...I half hope I fall in love with the roots. And try and figure out his vision. But...I'm torn on round or oval for it. I must say...some days...I think they are pretty gnarly. With that right branch/trunk cleaned up.

Tree is in a 10" round pot. That round pot is 8" with the base 6" across at 3" depth. The oval...overall...is larger. 9 x Almost 7...2" deep. Teddi...thought the round pot stunning...but questions if it can go into it. Which is what she is checking on. The oval...is stunning...love that pot. You think...the maple could go in it even with exposed roots you say? Because that oval pot...I see as mine. Even without a tree for it. I've a year to find a proper pot for that maple...the tree itself isn't the deal breaker for the oval at all. But...it is for the round.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 20
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    221.2 KB · Views: 21

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I like the one on the right... but not as a bonsai pot. I could see it on a mantle or bookshelf in a nice craftsmen style house :)

I personally think it would be hard to use either as a bonsai pot. I just think the glazes may be a little too much. The pot on the left has a rough texture, ribbing, AND a busy glaze. I think it is too much (for me).

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
View attachment 138156 View attachment 138157 I have a serious addiction. Pots! I seen one pot that I loved. Honestly I'm thinking health wise if tree...it maybe to small. But the depth is right...the other...depth is shallower but the rest works. Ugh...dilemma...I could buy both. But the price of both could easily buy a tree. But I tell myself...get this. I'm trying to keep my collection down. So...to buy the pots make sense. :oops: I am so addicted to pots that catch my fancy. I do see me possibly buying both. I'm a sorry sap for pots.
If I were you, I bought both. The reason is that pots which we like may be hard to find in the future. If I like the pot, I will buy it now. Later on, if I find the tree which is suitable for the pot, it is good; otherwise, I just enjoy the pot without the tree. It is why I possess many pots and it is easy for me to get more than one pot choices for the tree when transplanting time for that tree comes.
Bonhe

Top Bottom