Need a few trees id by bark

Spdyracer

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
First two I may have an idea but not positive. Guessing the first is a beech and the second is a sassafras. Would like to hear for sure if that's correct. The last two really don't have a clue. As usual any help is appreciated IMG_1785.JPG IMG_1776.JPG IMG_1779.JPG IMG_1784.JPG IMG_1782.JPG IMG_1773.JPG

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
First one definitely looks like beech. Other than that I'm no help

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It is always helpful to get pics of the branch terminals, too and a shot further back to see branch structure.

1) Definitely not a beech. Bark is too green. Looks to have fruiting spurs and possibly a thorn. Young hawthorn or maybe a crabapple.
2) Sourwood 99.44%
3) Same plant as 2
4) Red maple
5) ? maybe oak

Try this site http://forestry.ohiodnr.gov/trees

Spdyracer

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
First one definitely looks like beech. Other than that I'm no help
The one pictured is way too big but there where plenty smaller ones around. May need to see if there's one good enough to dig since I don't have any beech.

Spdyracer

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Second and third look like oak. Fourth looks like some sort of maple judging by the leaves on the ground. Fifth one looks like a conifer based on the needles on the ground. Did I win? :)
Um no ha. Last one is definitely deciduous but since I didn't take a picture of the top I won't hold it against you.

Reactions: Vin

Spdyracer

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It is always helpful to get pics of the branch terminals, too and a shot further back to see branch structure.

1) Definitely not a beech. Bark is too green. Looks to have fruiting spurs and possibly a thorn. Young hawthorn or maybe a crabapple.
2) Sourwood 99.44%
3) Same plant as 2
4) Red maple
5) ? maybe oak

Try this site http://forestry.ohiodnr.gov/trees
know what your saying about some branches and I should had done that. Hoping to do it by the bark but I'm sure that would have helped. Never heard of sourwood I'll have to look into that.

Red maple here usually have smooth gray bark when young. I have a larger one that the bark is starting to turn rough. Starting to wander if that one isn't a black cherry. The top is snapped off and it's thrown up a bunch of new shoots at the top.

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If Stan is certain the first one isn't beech than I'd listen to him. I don't know my deciduous trees yet, I have heard that american beech is on the "harder to find in the wild" side, but I can only speak for my chunk of PA. Maybe Ohio is lousy with em. Also on further inspection... those don't look like the kind of buds a beech leaf comes out of. I don't know why I try to chime in on these ID posts haha

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
american beech is on the "harder to find in the wild" side, but I can only speak for my chunk of PA.
Must be where you live.
There are tons here.

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I appreciate them, I wish were around here

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I appreciate them, I wish were around here
I don't fool with them because of the weird growing habits but was thinking of collecting some to sell seeing as people seem to like them.

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@M. Frary I know what you mean. I almost typed "I appreciate them, as trees" never had much interest in dwarfing one. But I think selling them is a pretty good idea

Waltron

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
first one id say red oak, 2 and 3 not sure, maybe maple, maybe elm, cotton wood? 4 is hop hornbeam, pretty sure of that, last one.. not sure, maybe black cherry? you cant see any buds?

Spdyracer

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
first one id say red oak, 2 and 3 not sure, maybe maple, maybe elm, cotton wood? 4 is hop hornbeam, pretty sure of that, last one.. not sure, maybe black cherry? you cant see any buds?
Been looking into hophornbeam and I think there's a good chance you could be right. I'll have to go look at the branches and buds to see if I can find out for sure thanks

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Quite honest, bark alone is not enough to make a good guess. Bark + a twig showing the bud details, that can be good. A detailed close up of the bud, showing the bud scales, and a close up of the leaf scar from a twig, there are botanical keys that will definitively sort out species from those two traits. But you got to be able to see the vascular bundles in the leaf scar for that photo to be useful. Then I would have to find my botanical key, its around here somewhere.

I think @Stan Kengai had a pretty good guess. @Waltron - hop hornbeam, Ostrya, is a possibility for #4, but none of the leaves on the ground look right.

So I have no clue.

Top Bottom