Mystery Pine. Japanese Red?

Chunky Trunks

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Hello,
I purchased this pine as part of a bulk sale and I’m curious if anyone knows what kind it is?
Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_2071.jpeg
    IMG_2071.jpeg
    421.3 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_2070.jpeg
    IMG_2070.jpeg
    272.1 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_2072.jpeg
    IMG_2072.jpeg
    216.4 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_2073.jpeg
    IMG_2073.jpeg
    195.3 KB · Views: 85
Hard to tell.
How many needles per fascicle (bundle of needles)? Looks Iike 2 but can't be sure from the pictures

Also, where in the world are you?
Please add that information to your profile. A lot of bonsai advice is sometimes dependent on location

Hard to tell.
How many needles per fascicle (bundle of needles)? Looks Iike 2 but can't be sure from the pictures

Please add that information to your profile. A lot of bonsai advice is sometimes dependent on location
Charlotte, NC. 2 needle .

Bark, needles and cones all look right for JRP but there are many other pines that look similar so potentially red pine but not guaranteed.

Are the needles soft or sharp enough to poke your hand when you touch them?

It looks like it could be a JRP. They are not common here in the US, so the likelihood is higher if you got it from a grower of bonsai material. If so, it is a good score, but in need of some TLC to bring it back to good health. When my JRP needles started to yellow, I couldn’t save them. Likely it’s the compacted soil causing the problem, so you’ll have to aerate the soil to get through the year. Next spring, balance changing enough soil (especially directly under the trunk) to improve the condition, but keeping enough roots to let the tree recover. My current JRP grows best in very coarse soil, which also allows me to go 4-5 years between repotting.

Hard to tell.

Confirmed. Pinus Rigada (Pitch Pine)

It looks like it could be a JRP. They are not common here in the US, so the likelihood is higher if you got it from a grower of bonsai material. If so, it is a good score, but in need of some TLC to bring it back to good health. When my JRP needles started to yellow, I couldn’t save them. Likely it’s the compacted soil causing the problem, so you’ll have to aerate the soil to get through the year. Next spring, balance changing enough soil (especially directly under the trunk) to improve the condition, but keeping enough roots to let the tree recover. My current JRP grows best in very coarse soil, which also allows me to go 4-5 years between repotting.

Hard to tell.

Looks like a Sylvestris to me.

Wow you managed to get four posts in on one statement. Congrats.

I also would've guessed JRP, but if you counted 3 needles per fascicle, the pitch pine it is. Definitely good purchase. Please keep us posted on this tree.

Charlotte, NC. 2 needle .
Pinus rigida have 3 needles per fascicle.
If it's 2, it's not a pitch pine
And put your location on your profile please so we don't have to repeatedly ask you

Back
Top Bottom