My little boxwood

Nice tree. Eerily similar to the one I'm working on...I thought your pics were mine at first glance...:D

Attachments

• IMG_0486.jpg
    IMG_0486.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_0485.jpg
    IMG_0485.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_0483.jpg
    IMG_0483.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 67
Thanks dave and john!
rock, Indeed they are very similar. Yours looks a bit larger than mine, but the same feel for sure.

I can barely contain myself to not... put... tree... in ... new...pot...
But I have lots of wiring projects to distract me, for a while at least. ;)
I think it'll be a good pot if it's not too shallow.

I plan on getting a much smaller and shallower pot for my tree this spring. Another year filling in the apex and it will be ready for a better container.

For me this wide sprawling image needs a wider shallower pot to hold it. I'm thinking about something like this:
http://www.langbonsai.com/recBWd.htm

or this:
http://www.langbonsai.com/recBWb.htm

Last edited:
I also noticed that those two looked strangely like twins. Both nice little trees. I need a pot for mine as well, some flakes popped off the glaze. It was the only tree that hit the ground when we had a tornado go through. The tree was fine.

rock,
I think the grey one is too somber for the tree.... but the shape is interesting. I've never thought of rectangle for boxwood, but the bow walls make it softer.
Show us what you wind up with.

The grey may be a little drab, but I was thinking about this glaze:

http://www.langbonsai.com/recJ.htm

It also looks drab in the photo, but I have a couple of other pots with the same glaze. It can break to brighter greens and highlights over browns. I'm aiming for something that suggests spanish moss, draping grey or lighter colors over green/grey.

I love the white pots with these, but I do like the one you chose too Judy.
I repotted mine last spring and am hoping to work it into a smaller pot too.

IMG-20120406-00151.jpg

I like that last glaze, it is interesting without being too interesting, ya know?;)

Chappy, the one thing that's super easy about these trees is reduction of roots, at least I've found it to be true for all my boxwoods. So you should be into a smaller pot in no time.
Nice little guy you have there. Maybe think about opening up the canopy a bit, they do respond well to that.

update!

Just repotted this one, put it in the smaller Chuck Iker pot, and it looks just right for it. I did a large pruning, and rearranging of branches, it's starting to get there... The last photo is a maybe new front, sometime when I tire of the old one? Course being in a round pot, I could always style both sides...
so cute these little boxes, but they take a lot of time and patience to prune/wire.

Also the first shot is from last year so you don't have to go back to check out where it came from...I'm still working on getting the lowest left branch more branching back toward the trunk so I can cut it back a bit more.

Attachments

• IMG_2577.jpg
    IMG_2577.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_2574.jpg
    IMG_2574.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_2572.jpg
    IMG_2572.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_1875.jpg
    IMG_1875.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Nice work Judy. These little boxwoods are very cute.

I just got a little boxwood with a 3/4-1" trunk and branching that I think will someday make something similar.

I havent worked with Boxwoods a lot, so maybe you and/or Dario can answer this: how much do the leaves reduce?

100% improvement from original to new pot. It's delightful.... excellent choice! Well done my lady.

Warmly,

V

Thank you Miss V. :)
I agree, and it means a lot to me that you like it!
Please pass on my warmest regards to your other half for me.

Nice work Judy. These little boxwoods are very cute.

I just got a little boxwood with a 3/4-1" trunk and branching that I think will someday make something similar.

I havent worked with Boxwoods a lot, so maybe you and/or Dario can answer this: how much do the leaves reduce?

If it's a kingsville, you don't need to worry about leaf reduction as they are super small. I have a Saunders boxwood, that is a larger tree, so the slightly larger leaves suit it ok. I think you can get a bit of reduction by taking off the older, tougher leaves. I think if you grow the tree to the size that works for the leaves, as you can for sure with box, then you don't have to do anything to make the leaves perfect for it.

Very nice tree JudyB! And I also love the new pot. Lovely!

But then again, in the smaller pot, it'll def. be a 'water twice a day tree' though in the summer heat at least. Or will you keep it more in the shade, just curious as I don't have any trees this size and have wondered about this?

One, well me, must always make sure not to under pot given one's work/obligation/and bosai for example. But there's the workaround like you showed here, giving a lot more liberty to have wonderful shohin three's Judy! Thanks for sharing.

Very nice tree JudyB! And I also love the new pot. Lovely!

But then again, in the smaller pot, it'll def. be a 'water twice a day tree' though in the summer heat at least. Or will you keep it more in the shade, just curious as I don't have any trees this size and have wondered about this?

One, well me, must always make sure not to under pot given one's work/obligation/and bosai for example. But there's the workaround like you showed here, giving a lot more liberty to have wonderful shohin three's Judy! Thanks for sharing.

In the heat of the summer, I'll place this tree in a saucer with some water in it, so it can draw as needed. It works for me so far for mame, and smaller shohin. Course, I also site it in lesser sun situations.

Last Years Pot
Kingsville boxwood single.jpg
This years repot. I like the glaze, but I liked the tray better. It seems the depth of the pot diminishes the tree.
Photo May 28, 5 55 05 PM.jpg

Boxwoods on a rock
Kingsville boxwood rock planting.jpg

Before Spring trim
Photo Mar 30, 1 01 33 PM.jpg
After trim
Photo Mar 30, 3 21 21 PM.jpg

Just repotted this one, put it in the smaller Chuck Iker pot, and it looks just right for it. I did a large pruning, and rearranging of branches, it's starting to get there... The last photo is a maybe new front, sometime when I tire of the old one? Course being in a round pot, I could always style both sides...
so cute these little boxes, but they take a lot of time and patience to prune/wire.

Also the first shot is from last year so you don't have to go back to check out where it came from...I'm still working on getting the lowest left branch more branching back toward the trunk so I can cut it back a bit more.

Much better now. Very natural looking. It looks like the broad spreading white oaks we have here in sw michigan.

Back
Top Bottom