My grand wiring job!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I met a dude recently who didn't know what a fulcrum was, or, the difference between a fulcrum, and a fulcrum point.

@Adair M this is what I felt rude, and didn't intend it as such. I was being rude to the dude!

@Nwaite did you see the video yet?
Or have you been busy interviewing?
PP

Sorce

Nwaite

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
No luck... I don't have the net right now... just my phone . And I don't have alot of data. So noooo movies atm

Nwaite

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I live in the wood.... the library is almost half an hour away.... then I have to pack up the kids... drive. And God only know what I would do with them ones I get there.

I'll go to my mother in laws this weekend and try to watch it there.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
It will be worth the effort. What you learn from this will simplify you life in bonsai.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I would like to ask you guys way keep saying he's not doing it the right way or it SHOULD NOT be raindlbowing .... one of the things that really drew me to this art is that there is not a right or rong way .... iv see plenty of trees that have branches that "rainbow" tree do meany things ... more then we can imagine some times.

Finding a library with better internet would be worth it's weight in gold with that video. It opened my eyes...and brought clarity. Also...once there you can see tabs of others available. Watch the one about improper wiring. That too is eye opening. Most common wiring mistakes and why they don't work.

Nwaite

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'll add it to my list :) thanks guys!

It will be a nice long winter of larning. ... I can't wait to put it all to use this spring.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Finding a library with better internet would be worth it's weight in gold with that video. It opened my eyes...and brought clarity. Also...once there you can see tabs of others available. Watch the one about improper wiring. That too is eye opening. Most common wiring mistakes and why they don't work.
Your first impression is correct, you can do bonsai any way you like. However; having everybody like what you have done is another issue. There are ways of wiring that people are finding out work better than others. There are also designs that the majority of the bonsai community find acceptable and others that are not. You have to decide if you are going to listen to people that have been doing bonsai for a long time or just continue to do your own thing? The actual question you should be asking yourself, after you have finished one of your trees: Do I really like this? What was the image of bonsai that I saw that made me want to grow bonsai?

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Your first impression is correct, you can do bonsai any way you like. However; having everybody like what you have done is another issue. There are ways of wiring that people are finding out work better than others. There are also designs that the majority of the bonsai community find acceptable and others that are not. You have to decide if you are going to listen to people that have been doing bonsai for a long time or just continue to do your own thing? The actual question you should be asking yourself, after you have finished one of your trees: Do I really like this? What was the image of bonsai that I saw that made me want to grow bonsai?

@Vance Wood ... ? I like trees with a more naturalistic style over all. Not sure what your meaning. My comment was telling poster to find a library and that seeing the video was well worth the trip to see it. Nothing even remotely about how I style trees.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
one of the things that really drew me to this art is that there is not a right or rong way

You can always tell a lazy man. This line or one like it ALWAYS shows up. There IS a rong (er, wrong) way.

Sign me: I don't know anything about art, but I know what I like.

Nwaite

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You can always tell a lazy man. This line or one like it ALWAYS shows up. There IS a rong (er, wrong) way.

Sign me: I don't know anything about art, but I know what I like.
Sorry but I disagree with you...

There might be better ways to do things but not wrong...

You know I take that back the only real wrong thing you could do is killing one of your plants knowingly. That would wrong!

I have three kids work 50 hr's a week at a job I don't want to. Help run a farm . And take care of my own small home stead.
Please don't ever implie that I'm lazy.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Hey Nwaite....

@jkl Has got me like this twice!

He words it so it upsets you....
But then the aha moment comes when you realize he's right!

I'm better for it!

Thanks Jim!

Sorce

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What Jim is implying is that there really are wrong ways to do things. A lazy man will always take the easy and sometimes wrong route. Instead of taking the time to learn the right way because it's harder.
He isn't saying you are lazy per sei. He's saying sometimes the right way takes some work sometimes. Instead of taking the more attractive easy one.

Nwaite

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What Jim is implying is that there really are wrong ways to do things. A lazy man will always take the easy and sometimes wrong route. Instead of taking the time to learn the right way because it's harder.
He isn't saying you are lazy per sei. He's saying sometimes the right way takes some work sometimes. Instead of taking the more attractive easy one.
That makes much more sense. . Thank you .

An if that's what you ment Jim then thanks that make much more sense and I'm sorry for thinking you were implying that I'm a lazy parson.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
May I add... When learning to wire, take the time to learn how to do it properly. That way, you won't get set in bad habits that, if you want to progress, will hold you back.

When you're done, step back and look at your work critically. What could you have done better? (We can all improve). Is it worth taking it off and rewiring? If so, then do it. Next time, it will be easier. A lot of this is learn ended by "mussle memory". Another way to say this is: "getting the hang of it".

Practice, practice, practice.

Djtommy

Omono
Reaction score
adair posted a drawing how to correctly wire earlier in this thread.
For the people that dont like it, here is an alternative way.
After all, no wrong way, right nwaite ;)
image.jpg

Top Bottom