My first shimpakus are here

GailC

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
I ordered 2 small shimps from evergreen nursery and they arrived today safe and sound.

Potted up the first, no issues. Got to looking at the second and its 4 trunks, something seemed off.
After feeling around the roots and gently pulling on the double trunks, I found there were 2 small trees growing together.

As gently as possible, I untangled the roots and separated the two little trees. The soil was pretty chunky and the littlest tree lost a lot, pretty much bare rooted it.

Hopefully it won't be negatively affected by the separation. I didn't remove any roots, just untanglesd and immediately got it back in dirt.

Now I guess I just leave them be for a year? I'll probably thin them a little at some point as they are pretty thick.

Attachments

• 20200410_153343.jpg
    20200410_153343.jpg
    230.3 KB · Views: 88

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
You could wire some movement into those trunks, and then let them be for a few years.

GailC

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
You could wire some movement into those trunks, and then let them be for a few years.
Should that be done right away or could I wait till later? I'm worried about the bark slipping if bent too much.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Since they’re in pots, they won’t thicken up too much if you want to wait. I’d do it now, but if you’re worried about damaging them, wait until early fall. Enjoy! Shimpaku are next-level junipers.

GailC

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
Thanks. I'll go ahead and try one and see how it goes.

HENDO

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
I ordered 2 small shimps from evergreen nursery and they arrived today safe and sound.

Potted up the first, no issues. Got to looking at the second and its 4 trunks, something seemed off.
After feeling around the roots and gently pulling on the double trunks, I found there were 2 small trees growing together.

As gently as possible, I untangled the roots and separated the two little trees. The soil was pretty chunky and the littlest tree lost a lot, pretty much bare rooted it.

Hopefully it won't be negatively affected by the separation. I didn't remove any roots, just untanglesd and immediately got it back in dirt.

Now I guess I just leave them be for a year? I'll probably thin them a little at some point as they are pretty thick.
Do you mind me asking where you ordered these shimps from?

Rick99

Sapling
Reaction score
I have been looking for some Shimpaku's but they seem really over priced. Any ideas where to go to get some at a fair cost?

Rick99

Sapling
Reaction score
Thank you .... just went over and both sizes are sold out! Will keep looking!

jquast

Chumono
Reaction score
I have been looking for some Shimpaku's but they seem really over priced. Any ideas where to go to get some at a fair cost?

Did you see this posting from earlier today?

Rick99

Sapling
Reaction score
Did you see this posting from earlier today?

Thanks!

GailC

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
Thank you .... just went over and both sizes are sold out! Will keep looking!

Thats not surprising. I actually ordered mine a month ago.
Looks like you're found another good option though.

Top Bottom