My First JBP

Housguy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
This is my first serious JBP that is mine, little late to start my progression thread, had it for two years already without any pics 😖, better late than never. Will continue to develop the tree in this can for one more year, then I am potting it, and will continue to develop the pads and apex.
my JBP.jpgmy JBP2.jpg

Housguy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Reaching out to the JBP experts :). I don't have much experience in needle plucking down to the desired pair of needles per branch and in looking at this tree, do I start with the ones going straight down first and then decide for each branch from there for strength and how many pair of needles I should leave on the branch?
Guys JBP3.jpgGuys JBP2.jpg

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
From Jonas
The best time to thin needles on mature pines is after summer growth hardens off in fall.

But he also does it when decandling.
Reducing vigor in stronger areas can help balance the overall vigor of the tree. When taking the needle-plucking approach, this means we leave fewer needles in strong areas and more needles in weak areas. The weakest areas – shoots with 1-3 pairs of needles – are generally left alone.
  • Strong areas – leave 3-7 pairs
  • Medium areas – leave 5-9 pairs
  • Weak areas – leave 7-12 pairs

I know he does spring candle pinching, but only on refined trees. All the other pros I have followed advocate to take care of them when decandling. Ryan decandles JBPs all at once, Jonas does it at intervals or all in one day. The below link has all the info you will need.

Another good link

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Plucking down to a specified # of needles is only for refinement according to Boon. He teaches needle plucking at decandling but its about evening out densities and strength. There is no counting of needle pairs at that time. Late winter I think is when they're plucked down to 5/6/7-8 pairs on refined trees.

Top Bottom