My first bougainvillea

Lobaeux

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10B
So excited to see the bracts on this after returning from a weekend trip. Got up this morning and the bract was starting to come in, along with others, this small one was getting much bigger. I ran to the pool supply store today to get the water tested and when I returned, a small lizard was on the bougie and all the bracts were gone. I'm on a warpath now for all lizards!

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
So excited to see the bracts on this after returning from a weekend trip. Got up this morning and the bract was starting to come in, along with others, this small one was getting much bigger. I ran to the pool supply store today to get the water tested and when I returned, a small lizard was on the bougie and all the bracts were gone. I'm on a warpath now for all lizards!

Once it starts you will have them all summer. :) You pretty much can't stop them from blooming. I think I have 6 or 7 different kinds starting to bloom right now.

Lobaeux

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10B
Spent a few minutes trimming my bougie up, here with the before and after pics. Once I moved it to the front of the house, the leaves have really come in. Just waiting for it to bloom and some of the newer branches to harden just a little so I can wire.

FullSizeRender 2.jpg FullSizeRender.jpg

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Maybe at next repot, play around with different planting angles? I wonder as I admire it, perhaps it emerges from the soil a bit to upright and straight. Maybe tilting a coupleafew degrees to the viewers right.
Might this give a little more dynamic image ? ;):cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::D:D
Once you gain confidence with how the tree will respond to pruning, I think you could cut it back a little further.
Looks healthy, nice!!:):):)

Lobaeux

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10B
I see what you're saying, and I think I'm going to angle it a bit when I do a repot.
It is pretty healthy, which is good. I'd like to prune it back to make it a bit more compact.

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
May I comment on Bougainvilleas in my local conditions, hot & dry summer - mild humid winter
... ... so far I have not found the whole 'they don't like their roots messed with' thing a problem and I have been harsh at times too.
Provided that repotting is done at hot temperatures.
Keep it root bound, I find they like having more root then substrate in the container... ...They will tolerate the excessive water BUT it results in leggy greens and zero flora.
They do like to drink a lot, but in order for them to bloom they need sun and to be left "thirsty"
I let mine to droop leaves a little before I water again.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
They do like to drink a lot, but in order for them to bloom they need sun and to be left "thirsty"
I let mine to droop leaves a little before I water again.

Yes, they do appreciate drying a bit between watering when in full sun here. Never wet... :)

Provided that repotting is done at hot temperatures.

Here they don't care spending a short grow outside and Winter inside - what they do like however is being root bound so at repot if growing them larger it is most effective to up pot them now more then a 1/2 inch at the parameter.

Just what works up North for a very Southern plant ;)

Grimmy

Top Bottom